4690K Heat Problems

Oct 1, 2018
Hey guys,

I just decided to overclock my 4690K for the first time in my 3-year old setup. I bumped it up to 4 gHz at 1.32 V. It's stable through a couple of hours of Prime95, but it hovers around the mid-70s the entire time, sometimes peaking in the low-80s. It idles around the high-40s. I have backed off the voltage and clock, but the temps stay the same. Any idea why its running so hot?

I'm running it with a H100i in a NZXT S340 Elite on an ASRock Z97x Fatal1ty Killer X

Solution
Well, were is the radiator installed? In what direction are the fans oriented? Where else do you have fans populated and in what orientation?

What is your LLC (Line load calibration) set to in the bios?

How much memory, how many sticks, at what speed, and at what voltage, is your memory configuration?

What is your pump connected to? What are your radiator fans connected to?

What cooling profile is assigned to your radiator fans?

Lots of questions with very little information. I really doubt you need 1.32v for 4Ghz. Try dropping that voltage to more like 1.3v and run Prime95 version 26.6, and ONLY version 26.6, for 15 minutes on Small FFT option to verify thermal compliance. Other versions are no good for thermal testing as they use...
Well, were is the radiator installed? In what direction are the fans oriented? Where else do you have fans populated and in what orientation?

What is your LLC (Line load calibration) set to in the bios?

How much memory, how many sticks, at what speed, and at what voltage, is your memory configuration?

What is your pump connected to? What are your radiator fans connected to?

What cooling profile is assigned to your radiator fans?

Lots of questions with very little information. I really doubt you need 1.32v for 4Ghz. Try dropping that voltage to more like 1.3v and run Prime95 version 26.6, and ONLY version 26.6, for 15 minutes on Small FFT option to verify thermal compliance. Other versions are no good for thermal testing as they use AVX instructions at unrealistic levels.

THEN, if it passes, staying below 80°C for the full 15 minutes, download and run Realbench for 8 hours, to verify stability.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3761568/cpu-overclocking-guide-tutorial-beginners-work-progress.html

Solution
Oct 1, 2018

Finally got around to trying out your suggestions. Turned on LLC and tuned in my voltage, running stable now. Thanks!