4690k One Core VERY Hot @ Stock speeds w/Corsair H60

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukewater

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I figure i'd better ask someone about this before I throw the whole thing in the trash!

Short Version: Core #1 is 95*-99* in AIDA64, rest are 60*-70* range with Corsair H60 cooler.

Long Version:

Began overclocking this computer about 4 months ago using standard gigabyte bios settings (overclock 20%, nothing agressive). Crashing began, and I downloaded HWinfo, noticed Core 1 was very hot and was throttling. Read about H60's backplate being installed upside down, which mine was. Reseated (not my first time seating a heatsink) and noticed cooler was still loose when screws were fully tightened. Added some washer shims behind and it seemed to snug up nice. Temps are still identical. Cooler is showing the pump and fan running fine. Bios is fully upgraded (GIGABYTE Z97MX-Gaming 5 Version f6).

Playing BF4, Ark, AC Odyssey. Getting crashes 50/50 between "Clock_Watchdog_Timeout" and "Machine_Check_Exception"

Reset BIOS to default, reset CMOS, reseated the cooler about 20 times. Installed stock cooler, even worse!

Started playing with the voltage manually. Dropping the voltage to 1.25 drops the temp to 85-90* but still getting watchdogs. Upping the voltage pushes temp and getting machine_checks.

I'm at a loss. 9600k is sitting in shopping cart ready to go, but I'm too stubborn to abandon this.Someone just please tell me my CPU is faulty and i can stop chasing my tail!

Any help is greatly appreciated

MSIGTX980GAMINGGeForceGTX980 4GBPCI-Ew/DVI,

GigabyteGA-Z97MXGaming 5 w/DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio,Gigabit

eVGA SuperNOVA650G650WGold Modular Power Supply

IntelCoreTMi5-4690KProcessor, 3.50GHzw/ 6MBCache

G.SKILLRipjawsXSeries 16GBPC3-14900 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x8GB)

Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPUCooler

nukewater

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
disregard this. I made the mistake of making 3 changes at once, and one of them fixed the problem. I rotated the cooler 90*, i reapplied the thermal paste using the spread method (blasphemy, i know), and i only finger tightened the screws. All 4 cores are at an even 63 on AIDA64, and have not had a BSOD yet.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
And this confirms my experiences with the H60 especially around the not very well solved back plate I had to adjust with some foldet paper to increase the pressure of the cooler on the CPU.
Thus nice that you could solve this topic on your own without dumping your expensive hardware.
Suggest that you go for a powerful air cooler in the future. Take the Dark Rock 4 that will deliver even better results than the H60.

Status
Not open for further replies.