4770k w/ h60 idling temps WAY TOO HIGH

exquisitemb

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
I installed the h60 with the stock paste that it comes with and I was idling at 50-60 degrees C

That seemed way to high, so I wiped the paste off with iso prop alcohol and then re-applied with some cooler master paste I had... After I turned it on, I was running idle at 70-80 degrees!!

I just did ANOTHER re-apply and now I'm idling in the 70-80 degrees C range...

Seriously, what the heck can I do to get this idling down in the 20-30 degree range... The room temperature isn't more than 65 degrees (FARENHEIT) so that does not seem to be the issue...

I am using the cpu 1 and cpu 2 fan pins to power the pump and the radiator/fan...

Below is a snapshot of the CPUID Hardware Manager output...
http://imgur.com/Na5lDsl

Any thoughts?

Is there a way I can verify the pump is actually pumping? I listen but don't hear a distinguishable noise that I can say "Oh, thats definietly the pump"...

SUPER UPDATE:
So, I have the 3 pin pump connector hooked to cpu_fan_2 on the mobo... When I go into the BIOS, it says "CPU FAN SPEED 2: N/A"... I hooked it up to PWR_FAN_1 and checked in the BIOS and it says "PWR FAN SPEED: N/A"..

Does this show my pump is freakin dead?

Solution
oh, that's bad. Sounds like your H60 Isn't even trying to cool your CPU, Is there a way to change the fan speed of the H60 or increase pump flow? I don't use liquid cooling but if you have the option to adjust those settings please do.

exquisitemb

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

I cannot find anywhere, anyone to tell me how to verify the pump is working.. not to mention working "normally"..

I had the 3 pin pump connector hooked to the 3 pin cpu_fan_2 pinout... I went in the BIOS and it said Cpu Fan 1 Speed 1980 or something and Cpu Fan Speed 2 "N/A"...

Just updated the OP w/ some new information with regards to trying to determine if the pump was indeed working..

exquisitemb

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

70-80 degrees C dude... Cmon...

exquisitemb

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

That's what I'm asking people here that have experience with this type of cooling...

sniper360

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013

Remove the entire assembly. If you have a modular PSU you can just hook up the pump with a Molex converter cable. If you plug in the fan you'll never hear it. If you hear nothing it's most likely a bad pump. I have an H60 on my A10-5800K and it dropped the temps to 29C during idle and 45-55 playing most games. You should not be seeing 70-80.

Also are you OCing? if single stock fan on the radiator it may not be enough.

exquisitemb

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

The issue was that the pump was bad. I sent it back to Corsair and since getting the new one things are running in the 20C range.