Question 4770K With Hyper 212 Turbo Runs Hot 99 Celsius

May 9, 2020
Hi everyone, i hope you guys are doing fine.

I have a 4770K that i had issue with, it was running hot on Stock CPU fan, and making lots of noises. Even under medium load.

SO i went and purchased a Hyper 212 Turbo, but the processor is still running hot.

Under idle or medium temps its doing fine now,, but when i run Prime95

The cpu temps max out at 98 - 99 C

I dont think this is ideal temp, I have a very good cooler-master ventilated case,

Here are the temps after running prime95 for 10 minutes. https://prnt.sc/sdqvys

Am i doing something wrong? i applied the thermal paste too in a correct way.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
prime 95 will push the cpu to the max. not really a big issue if it only does it during that test.

what do the temps look like during real world usage? like gaming? browsing the web? watching a video?

that's really what matters. if the temps are good during your normal real world usage, then nothing to worry about

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not at all. 60-65 while gaming is probably the highest you'll see it day to day. unless you start doing any rendering which will push the cpu further.

otherwise, you'll be fine as is. i'd not pesonally worry about 60 degrees while gaming :)

i have a 4690k running at 4.3 ghz that stays around there as well and all i have on it is a hyper 212 evo that was popular when i built the system

Toni Vicente

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
I had the last mont a 4670 and the hyper T4, similar to the 212. That temp aren't normal.
I read that Prime95 is old and not take in count the max stress that a cpu can support so this is dangerous. But this was readed for me, isn't my real experience.

Wait for an expert in this materia xD

Your link shows a minimum temperature of 47-48c.
At idle, most good coolers will be in the 10-15c. over ambient range.
I suspect your cooler is not mounted well.
I have found the hyper212 to be difficult to get on evenly.
Possibly, you used too much paste.
A rice sized drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.
More likely, the cooler does not set evenly on the processor.

I see max temperatures of 100c. which indicates throttling.

Remount the cooler, paying attention to getting it on level.
Dumb question... did you remove the protective mylar film from the cooler before mounting?
When you tighten down the screws, do so a little at a time in a crosswise pattern.

Reactions: ZulqarnainKhan
May 9, 2020
And yes i did remove the protective plastic film.

I tightened the screws in a crosswise pattern, i always do that.

Tightening very little one after anonther until all are tightened.

May 9, 2020
Okay so i remounted the cooler, its perfectly mounted i think

evenly, the thermal paste was definitely too much, so i removed all and added the standard size now.

At the start the temps were really impressive, i didnt knew a thermal paste would do such big improvement.

But as long as prime95 ran, the temps again started hitting 90 - 95

Its definitely an improvement, but still hitting 95 https://prnt.sc/sdt88n

TRENDING THREADS