[SOLVED] 4790 in late 2020? Or should I upgrade?

Nov 14, 2020
I've had my 4790 since early 2015 in late 2014 since it came out. I typically just game but I wanted to play more recent games at higher fps, currently I am looking at investing in a 980ti or just a 1060 and keep my build for another 2 years, but the problem with that is that I will need to commit to it and since I wanna start streaming here and there I'm not sure if ill have problems. I want to be able to download and play any games without any problems. If I were to want to upgrade my GPU I would also need to get a more recent 1150 motherboard as mine only has 2.0 slots and no 3.0.

Need help deciding if I should stick with my 4790 for another 2 years for streaming games like warzone, AAA games, etc.. Or if its time for me to upgrade.

Solution
The reason I'm fine getting an nvme on a pcie adapter is because I know I'm going to use it in the future as well and to be honest it will probably last me a very long time like 4+ years because I don't download a lot of things, I just game nothing crazy and I heard that nvme is 4x faster than a normal ssd so that's why I'm considering getting that. But I guess it makes sense what you're saying, I was just saying a nvme for faster load times on my system, games, and downloads and at a cost of like 50 dollars more.

I can see your reasoning, using it later in another build. Also another benefit to using M2 is doing away with cables. Unless transferring large files across it where read/writes will be substantial, just don't get...
What motherboard do you have? Pci express 2.0 x16 has same performance than Pci express 3.0 x16 so dont worry about that issue, even gtx 3080 does not max out pcie 2.0 x16 bandwidth

However streaming triple A games you can forget, playing them on 1080p no problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well the graphics card you can carry over to a new system, maybe try that first, possibly 1660 Super or wait for 3060 to arrive. Pcie 2 won't set you back all that much but what motherboard do you have that supports 4th gen and not PCIe 3? Because 4790 is PCIe 3 based.

Streaming etc be better on an Ryzen or Intel equivalent with 6+ cores with Hyperthreading/SMT. Anywhere between Ryzen 3600~3700x to Intel 10600k~10700k. With 2x 16GB 3200~3600 CL 16 ram.

4790 is still very capable. An idea might be to try a faster graphics card and wait longer on overhauling until DDR5 platforms arrive. Should be hearing more on it late next year.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Nov 14, 2020
Well the graphics card you can carry over to a new system, maybe try that first, possibly 1660 Super or wait for 3060 to arrive. Pcie 2 won't set you back all that much but what motherboard do you have that supports 4th gen and not PCIe 3? Because 4790 is PCIe 3 based.

Streaming etc be better on an Ryzen or Intel equivalent with 6+ cores with Hyperthreading/SMT. Anywhere between Ryzen 3600~3700x to Intel 10600k~10700k. With 2x 16GB 3200~3600 CL 16 ram.

4790 is still very capable. An idea might be to try a faster graphics card and wait longer on overhauling until DDR5 platforms arrive. Should be hearing more on it late next year.
I just have a generic dell motherboard, it came with a prebuilt around 2015, I do have 16gb's of ram ddr3 as well if any of that info helps. I was thinking the same thing, so do you think I should just wait? Also a side note, I was looking into upgrading my storage as well as I have around 2 ssd's and a HDD that all add up to about 900gb total, I wanted to get rid of all those (sell) and just buy a 1TB nvme ssd, the thing is I don't have room for it on my mobo and I don't know if a pcie adapter would be worth it?

Nov 14, 2020
What motherboard do you have? Pci express 2.0 x16 has same performance than Pci express 3.0 x16 so dont worry about that issue, even gtx 3080 does not max out pcie 2.0 x16 bandwidth

However streaming triple A games you can forget, playing them on 1080p no problem.
I just have a generic dell motherboard, I'm not 100% sure its 2.0 but through research, I've concluded that it is, I bought it around late 2014 around the same time when i7 4790 first came out. I just plan on playing games like CoD Warzone or Escape from tarkov, Doom Eternal, games like those and hopefully stream them. Would there be an issue spec wise if I were to stream titles like those? And what are your recommendations/suggestions for what I should do?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
16GB ram is enough for most things, i just meant moving forward, that 32GB from the get go would be best heading into the future to avoid mixing later if consider more ram.

Wouldn't worry about PCIe based ssds for now on that system. Wouldn't really notice any different anyway unless copying/ creating large files. For anything else, normal sata 2.5 ssd is perfectly fine, 1~2TB.

--

Could upgrade now, you'll certainly like the performance newer stuff is capable of, or wait. It's really up to you; Feel the need for speed OR an urge to scratch that itch.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
You can test what pcie your running, download gpu-z (google it) and then on main tab press "?" mark and start stress test, while its running look "bus interface" on the main gpu-z tab, if its running PCIe x16 your fine. It can be either PCIe 2.0 , 3.0 or 4.0 and performance is same even with 3090. If you see x8 / x4 or 1.1 under stress test then that is an issue

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTWtp5CnE4

Reactions: boju
Nov 14, 2020
16GB ram is enough for most things, i just meant moving forward, that 32GB from the get go would be best heading into the future to avoid mixing later if consider more ram.

Wouldn't worry about PCIe based ssds for now on that system. Wouldn't really notice any different anyway unless copying/ creating large files. For anything else, normal sata 2.5 ssd is perfectly fine, 1~2TB.

--

Could upgrade now, you'll certainly like the performance newer stuff is capable of, or wait. It's really up to you; Feel the need for speed OR an urge to scratch that itch.
The reason I'm fine getting an nvme on a pcie adapter is because I know I'm going to use it in the future as well and to be honest it will probably last me a very long time like 4+ years because I don't download a lot of things, I just game nothing crazy and I heard that nvme is 4x faster than a normal ssd so that's why I'm considering getting that. But I guess it makes sense what you're saying, I was just saying a nvme for faster load times on my system, games, and downloads and at a cost of like 50 dollars more.

Nov 14, 2020
You can test what pcie your running, download gpu-z (google it) and then on main tab press "?" mark and start stress test, while its running look "bus interface" on the main gpu-z tab, if its running PCIe x16 your fine. It can be either PCIe 2.0 , 3.0 or 4.0 and performance is same even with 3090. If you see x8 / x4 or 1.1 under stress test then that is an issue

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTWtp5CnE4
Okay that helped me out a lot, it says PCIe x16 3.0 so that's nice to now that I'm actually running on 3.0 thanks! Do you think if I were to buy a nvme ssd on a pcie adapter would effect the speed of the nvme? I generally just game but for 50 dollars more I feel like its worth it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

I can see your reasoning, using it later in another build. Also another benefit to using M2 is doing away with cables. Unless transferring large files across it where read/writes will be substantial, just don't get your hopes up expecting 4x quicker random sequential reads in games. Might be a little quicker compared to Sata SSD's, just not a by a whole lot.

Solution
Nov 14, 2020
I can see your reasoning, using it later in another build. Also another benefit to using M2 is doing away with cables. Unless transferring large files across it where read/writes will be substantial, just don't get your hopes up expecting 4x quicker random sequential reads in games. Might be a little quicker compared to Sata SSD's, just not a by a whole lot.

Oh okay, yea that makes a lot of sense, I wont be transferring large files at all if I'm being honest with you, I mainly just download games browse the web, and play games. Do you think its worth saving my money and put it into something else then? As far as cables while I do like having less cables to worry about im not too stressed about it, whats your recommendation though?
P.S the only thing that might be better to use an nvme is if I were to video edit which is something I already do on my current pc, nothing too crazy though maybe 10-15 minute videos to render, etc.. Would that make a difference?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Although I've never done PCIe card with M2, it shouldn't be too difficult, might be worth doing that and transfer it to a new system when you get around to it. I'm not sure if PCIe card would allow SSD boot OS though, might only be usable for storage.

Maybe for the price of M2 card + SSD, could get a larger Sata SSD and keep things simple. Come back to M2 when ya consider overhauling.

Nov 14, 2020
Although I've never done PCIe card with M2, it shouldn't be too difficult, might be worth doing that and transfer it to a new system when you get around to it. I'm not sure if PCIe card would allow SSD boot OS though, might only be usable for storage.

Maybe for the price of M2 card + SSD, could get a larger Sata SSD and keep things simple. Come back to M2 when ya consider overhauling.
Its possible but unless the motherboard supports it I don't think you can, just searched it up to make sure and the first motherboards which allowed that are Z97 mobos. I do have an ssd currently which I can keep and use as a boot its 256 gb which is plenty for the OS and I am fine using the m.2 as just a normal storage and in the future transfer OS to it. Do you think that would make sense to do or is that too much?