4790 (non k) and upgrading from GTX 970 to 2060/2070/1080ti

Jan 20, 2019
so pretty much as the title says i wanna do that upgrade knwing that my monitor is 1080p/60ghz
what you guys think about bottlenecking with my current setup ? i got 16 gigs of ram

Jan 20, 2019
Well yeh after playing the resident evil 2 demo i realised i needed an upgrade as i couldnt play that on max setting also i camt play most games now on max setting, most of open world games now o play on high with only few options maxed.out, thats why i was thinking of an upgrade, also my 970 has only 4 gigs of VRAM

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
I'm wanting to upgrade from my 970 as well. I really want to get a 2060 as I play 1080p but want some eye candy and would like an avg framerate over 120, but right now there are not many 2060 cards to choose from. The only 2060 that has a fan design to blow air out the back of your case is made by Asus and I refuse to buy Asus products. Hopefully some more 2060s hit the market soon or I might just have to suck it up and buy a 2070.

Jan 20, 2019
Thing is all of the upcoming games like anthem, metro exodus, cyberpunk wont go max setting at my 1080p/60 fps coz of my gtx 970 and my budget allow me to get any of the three cards i mentioned in the title but i fear bottleneck wont allow me to get 60 fps, so i really need an expert opinion on that.

Cyberpunk 2077 will for sure run on a GTX 970. Maybe at reduced settings but it should still be better than the base console version. If it can run on an old Xbox one base model then you can sure bet it will run on a GTX 970. Some games just will not run well on ultra or even high settings. All you'll be paying for if you get an RTX 2060 is a slight bump in level of detail or higher FPS which if you already get 60 fps it won't matter anyway. Sure... You could have a better card now for future proofing.... But which makes more sense? To get an RTX 2060 now and have an RTX 2060 or to save the money until you need a new graphics card and get something even better? If you can't save the money you have bigger problems and maybe you should focus on those bigger issues than to run out and spend. But hey.. If you think you need higher level of detail... If it means that much to you to max out a game or to play on high rather than medium then I'm not going to tell you you can't go buy whatever you want to achieve what you want. And I can't tell you how well an unreleased game is going to play. It may be locked to 30 fps for everyone. Some games are only meant to run at a certain frame rate.

The CPU you have won't bottleneck the cards you mention by any significant amount. I have a 4790K with a GTX 1080 ti. I can play 1440p high refresh rate or 4K 60hz on my TV. Get the RTX 2060 if you want it. As far as that goes get whatever you want. if you want an RTX 2080 ti and can afford it then by all means get it. You won't benefit from it at all but if it makes you feel better somehow to see higher fps on the fraps fps counter or msi afterburner(whatever you use) then that's perfectly fine. Like I said before... Upgrading to an RTX 2060 likely means only higher level of detail. If you really want something awesome get an RTX 2080 or GTX 1080 ti and upgrade to a 1440p high refresh rate panel... Or if you can't afford that a 1080p high refresh rate monitor with an RTX 2070.

Jan 20, 2019

you totally got me wrong mate , i wanna future proof my gaming , thats why i wanna get the RTX 2070/GTX 1080 ti , but i fear the bottleneck coz of my low end monitor , the 4 gigs of VRAM just wont do it for me with the GTX 970 , i couldnt go high on the ONE-Shot Demo of RE:2 Remake
i though that the 2060 would cause less bottleneck for me compared to the 2 high end GPU's i mentioned i wanna get thats why i added it to the title , so you think its safe to purchase either of those cards and they wont bottleneck for me on my current monitor till i get a newer monitor with higher res/hz , and if i got that new monitor would i need to upgrade my whole PC or not ?!