Question 4790K Antec M240 AIO - High temperatures in Prime95

Aug 28, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have just decided to part ways with my old I5 4690 (stock) and upgrade to I7 4790k (second hand), as I am playing battlefield 5, which is a cpu intensive game and I had few frame drops on it.

Before purchasing a AIO Antec Mercury 240MM water block, I used stock cooler with a poor thermal paste and in BF5 all ultra it would go up to 95 - 100 degrees.

I have then purchased the water block cooler and now in battlefield I have with stock frequencies arround 50-55 and 25-30 idle temperatures, and OCed to 4.6 would go to max 65, which seemed fined to me.

However, whenever I am trying to overclock it, even at 4.5ghz and run prime95 to test the stability, in 2 seconds the computer would restart due to high CPU temperatures. (even with the high test, let alone the maximum one). The thing is, that I can play battlefield at 4.6ghz with very good temperatures, but I heard that I should test in prime 95 for N hours in order to test stability, not possible.

I tried the max test in prime 95 with stock frequencies and my temperatures would go arround 95 degrees, which from my point of view is unacceptable from a 240 AIO cooler comparable with Corsair H100i.

The cooler is mounted and pump is connected to a SATA plug and also on the motherboard for temperature reading and color changing based on it. I don't think it has a pump software, I don't know how to see if this works at full speed.

I have used quick overclock from the MB UEFI (I have stock, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 ghz)

My Specs:
  • Motherboard - Asrock Z97 Anniversary Edition
  • 2x4gb - Hyper X Beasts and 2x4gb Hyper X Savage
  • CPU Intel I7 - 4790K
  • GPU - nVidia 1070 Asus Strix
  • PSU Thermaltake Smart RGB - 700W 80+
https://ibb.co/dgbJbb5 - Link to HWMonitor with Stock running (OC-ed at 4.6)

Please let me know if you have any ideas on how should I make this work.

Kind regards

Last edited:
CPU temperature is not the only thing that will cause a shut down or reboot, drawing power beyond the design parameters will do the same thing. This can be overcome to a certain degree by manipulation in the BIOS, however, that requires knowledge of overclocking.

Preset overclocks in BIOS do not always work properly. You still need to know how to overclock manually in order to establish a maximum safe overclock, especially for torture test software. The following is not exactly your motherboard, you can do a more refined search if you like, however, this should get you started:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-oAf2tVDcg

Reactions: nedelea.emanuel95
Aug 28, 2018
Thank you for your answer.

I have tested exactly in the same way as in the video and apparently, not the temperature is the issue, as it is constantly arround 65 with 4.5ghz at 1.25v core voltage.

This restarts again after about 10 seconds, in fact the restart is always more like a forced shut down, followed by a power on.

I am not sure what the problem is, is there any chance I cannot overclock it stable at all?

Aug 28, 2018
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help on this.

Prime version 29.8.1.0, ambient temperature 24 degrees.

Do you think the Prime95 it's forcing it too much? I should try the above mentioned version to see how it goes, and will let you guys know.

Thank you