4790k cache voltage matching core?

light001

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2012
Hey all,

I got a 4790k and maximus hero vii, delided and watercooled i am looking for a 24/7 overclock. Im kinda using cinebench scores for my reference gain. So with 102.2 BCLK,47 multiplier and 1.35v its stable at 4801mhz and temps are good.
Stock default cinebench score is 888
The current OC cinebench score is 966

Using aida64 system stability test, max temp peak is 88 and it only touches that temp briefly average is 70's . And runs in the 60s for abit too. Seems like a good temp situation. My experimental ideas are to see if i could find a 950 score cinebench with less voltages, and possibly adaptive voltage? however adaptive voltage is not something i hear about often, most of the time people seem to leave the cpu core voltage on manual all the time. i like the idea of adaptive to save power and such, but not at the cost of stability or performance of the cpu, and i dont know how to set it up properly. i tried 46 multiplier with 1.275v and 102.2 bclk which was pretty darn close to 950.

My issue is with the cache, currently i have it set to auto for everything. When i open hwinfo and look at voltages it seems like the cache voltage is matching the cpu core voltage...hmm... I tried to max the cache to 40 multiplier and set the voltage to 1.215 to see if temps would drop. I dunno, any input would be nice :)

Solution
I've tried adaptive, had stability issues, usually end up with a fixed voltage. On the other hand, it doesn't really matter to me. I have a machine dedicated to gaming (and printing, I guess), but when it is on it is usually gaming. Adaptive can also lead to voltages that exceed safe levels, same with LLC.

I would think the cache voltage would need to scale with core voltage as long as you are looking for a 1:1 cache ratio, but if it is less, then it should be fine. If you haven't messed with Vin yet, you can try bumping that up a little. Should be like 1.8 volts default, when overclocking this much it needs to be 2.0 or a little bit higher.

Been a while since I messed with Haswell though, maybe wait for some additional opinions.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've tried adaptive, had stability issues, usually end up with a fixed voltage. On the other hand, it doesn't really matter to me. I have a machine dedicated to gaming (and printing, I guess), but when it is on it is usually gaming. Adaptive can also lead to voltages that exceed safe levels, same with LLC.

I would think the cache voltage would need to scale with core voltage as long as you are looking for a 1:1 cache ratio, but if it is less, then it should be fine. If you haven't messed with Vin yet, you can try bumping that up a little. Should be like 1.8 volts default, when overclocking this much it needs to be 2.0 or a little bit higher.

Been a while since I messed with Haswell though, maybe wait for some additional opinions.

Solution