jlo82585

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys just looking for some advice, im currently running the following:
4790k with evo 212 cooler
msi gaming x gtx 1080
inwin grone case with 7 fans
asus hero mobo
so my complaint is a common one, the 4790k is getting a bit hot for my liking, idle temps are fine in the 35-39 range but under load i am seeing high 70's up to mid 80's. from what I have read I am at the limit of the evo 212 cooling capacity with the 4790k so i'm going to upgrade but i'm not sure if I should go with the noctua air cooler or spring for water cooling. I don't plan on overclocking in the future but AIO water cooling prices have fallen to the point where I could get either for the same price. My main concerns are reliability and fitment. The noctua cooler looks big and my 212 already has issues clearing my RAM but i'm not sure how reliable AIO water coolers are, Any advice on what one to get?

Solution
You can fit just about any air cooler in that case. It is a big case. As for air vs liquid, air usually wins out. Liquid coolers may be a couple degrees cooler, but they are louder and they do break down over time.

If you are not going to overclock, you dont need a high end Noctua cooler either. I like the Cryorig H7 for that CPU. For a little more you can go with a Crorig H5. Both will be much cheaper than the Noctua NH-D15.
You can fit just about any air cooler in that case. It is a big case. As for air vs liquid, air usually wins out. Liquid coolers may be a couple degrees cooler, but they are louder and they do break down over time.

If you are not going to overclock, you dont need a high end Noctua cooler either. I like the Cryorig H7 for that CPU. For a little more you can go with a Crorig H5. Both will be much cheaper than the Noctua NH-D15.

Solution