Question 4790K First time overclocking

StarOyster

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
I just overclocked my 4790k too 4.6ghz, not using watercooling since I have a big air cooler. But my question is, how much will that shave off of it lifespan? I'm wondering to try 4.7 or 4.8 =P

No one knows how long it will last at that clock speed...; might last 4 years, might last 4 months, but, my bet would be on 'it'll be fine', frankly.

Take it to whatever clock speed you can get on default voltage, as core temps go up even more quickly once voltage is added...

(Generally, gaming loads give temps about like CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, where Prime95/small FFTs is the worst case scenario of all for heat...; 10 minutes of Prime95, and you know normally if you cooling is adequate if temps have stabilized.)

Reactions: StarOyster
I will say you didn't pick a great CPU to overclock. It is a GREAT CPU it it's stock speed, and the water will help, but don't be too surprised if 4.7 is about it. Just don't push the voltage too high, and you shouldn't have too much to worry about as far as lifespan. And just in case you were wondering, if it starts hitting 99-100 degrees C with your overclock, it's going to throttle, in which case you will actually be losing performance.

Reactions: StarOyster