4790K high temps while gaming (also idle)

saatlol

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Hello, my pc is getting really hot. Temperatures idle vary between 34 and 50 degrees. But when gaming it can go as high as 100 degrees. Whenever I play PUBG it's between 78 and 96 degrees. But mostly at 85/90+. All fans are running and I put them at max speed. Not using a stock cooler but using the aftermarket Scythe Kotetsu Mark II with default thermal paste.

Idle temp:
download_1.png

While playing PUBG:
download.png

Specs:
i7 4790K
Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
16GB ram
GTX970
Corsair Obsidian 750D (stock fans)

What could cause this and how can I fix it?

Solution
that looks like poor contact pressure to me, or possibly the plastic cover still being in place from under the cooler (but that's very unlikely).

saatlol

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

Yes. I Just ordered new thermal paste to see if that causes the issue. But I've been running this for quite a while but only found out recently that the temps are unusual high. Could it be that I burned my CPU? I'm assuming I always have these temps while playing games but I never had a BSOD nor my pc randomly shutting down. Which I think would happen if I always run at these temperatures.

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I had temperatures very similar to this when my Corsair H100i pump died. I am 90% sure that something is wrong with your cooler. It is either not installed correctly or the fans are not working.

Oct 8, 2018
I have the same exact cpu and have experienced similar temps where I would blue screen from overheating. It turned out that my thermal paste dried out and all I needed to do was just apply new thermal paste. Ever since then, I have not had any issues.

No - Intel has thermal limits set into the cpu - it will slow itself down to prevent self destruction at 100C.
On the first rig i built, running an i7-4790 (non-k) i was relying on the Asus performance monitoring utility which always showed the cpu at 67C and never went above. After a few months of rendering video files (1-3 hour jobs, 2 or so a day, 5 days a week) i downloaded RealTempGT and it was showing temps bouncing from 98-100C. I downloaded Intel's XTU (Extreme Tuning utility) and it showed same temps.

I was running stock intel cooler, so i upgraded, added a fan to the computer case and corrected the temp situation. But, here's the interesting part - Intel's XTU has a benchmark testing function, that once you run it, it lets you upload to their web to compare to other users, and you can select to compare only to other users with same mobo and cpu. I consistently score in the top 3-5%, and this is 4 years after that 3 month session trying to fry my own CPU. I'm pretty confident it hasn't suffered any damage

hope that helps

My logic for discounting the fan is that it a fanless heat sink would stabilise at a lower temp just because of case air flow and the massive surface area, I can't imagine a whole heat sink being at 90C.

saatlol

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Got it! Apparently the plastic cover was still on the bottom of the heat sink. Don't know how I missed that when I installed the cooler. But I also applied new Arctic Cooling thermal paste and it runs really stable. CPU never gets above 71 degrees when playing heavy games. When idle it's around 28 - 34 degrees. Thanks for all the comments.

At least its fixed, a very absurd problem/solution ;)

Plastic - not a good conductor, we can conclude from this ;)

TRENDING THREADS