4790k hot without Overclock

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Hi,

have i7 4790k and iam geting hot temperatures with stock settings. idle 45/52º and load 81º+

I have Cooler Master 212 Evo with fan exhsut form rams to rear case.
check the voltage for stock its 1.251vcore.

the problem is cooler or other? My room temperature its arround 24/26º

My case is Zalman z3 Plus motehr board MSI Gaming 5 z97, PSU Corsair Cx600W 80+, 2x4Gb ddr3 2133 Gskill and MSI 1070 TI

I buy this CPU used this week in the chip say its from Vietnam

Solution
check the voltage for stock its 1.251vcore
The problem is here. 1.251v is too high for 212 EVO. Get a better cooler or manually lower clocks and voltage. Something like 1.200v should be better. You have a Z mobo so no problem there. I'll assume you're using 4.4GHz turbo so going back to 4.2GHz should be much better for the time.

Also, use the balanced power plan if you're using the performance mode. Should help with idle temps too.

As for the PSU, you can use this link for reference. Tier 1 and 2 are the best ones for long-term solutions. Should last for your next pc too. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
have any good for the price air or watter cooler under 70€? i looking at internet my case have 4 fans but ppl says its bad fans.
With my old CPU i had same problem high temperatures

That chip does run hot, and the 212 can handle it's heat but your temps are higher than they should be. I'd pull it and clean/reapply thermal compound. Making sure it's seated/mounted correctly. Also make sure your case is providing good airflow. The Zalman z3 Plus is a bit cramped in it's design so make sure you're getting adequate intake airflow. Moving to a push/pull like Tampus suggested isn't a bad idea. The 212 was good for it's day, but if you're looking at buying a second fan then you might as well spend the extra $20 and just go with a Cryorig H7.

Although the EVO 212 is getting dated, it's still a pretty efficient cooler.. I run it on my 6700K.
I would recommend removing and reapplying your thermal paste. I idle at about 30c and rarely go over 70c in any game. If thermal paste helps but you still want more, you can often adjust the fan speed curve thru the BIOS to make it a bit more aggressive.

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I replace the thermal past twice but still the same iam using Cooler Master MasterGel Maker Nano (its good?)

Your suggest its change all case fans and get new cooler or put 2 new fans in 212evo? I think the fans included do not have good airflow i have connect direct to PSU should i connect to mobo?

idk how much rpms this fans have.

check HWmonitor
https://imgur.com/a/pt6NuZv

You should not have the heatsink fan connected directly to the PSU. It can't regulate itself properly and if it's running at 100%, that's not always best. Connect the heatsink fan to the proper header on the motherboard (often labelled 'CPU_FAN'. Refer to the owner's manual if you can't find it).
Also curious which way you orientated the heatsink fan. Ideally with a case that has front intake and rear exhaust, you want the heatsink fan horizontal towards the front of the case to intake the coolest air.

That chip is notorious for running very hot and that cooler should be considered the bare minimum for that CPU. The load temp seems high but it's normal. I've seen a lot of those CPUs hitting 83-86 C under load even without overclocking (for which it doesn't actually have much available headroom). However the idle temps are definitely high. What's your ambient temp (room temp)? Also the min VID value is definitely high. It should go well below 1V when the CPU is idling, it should even be able hit 0.8V. All that means that the CPU doesn't drop its voltage a lot when idling. Check your board's BIOS and make sure that all the CPU power controlling mechanisms and all the C states are enabled. That should help a lot in controlling the idle temps. Also make sure that the board's BIOS is at its latest version, if not update it.

Finally the +12V is low (if it's accurate at all), which may point to a PSU issue. So I suggest you double check all those readings with a 2nd hardware monitoring program and also check the BIOS readings. It's possible that some of those reading are wrong which may point you to the wrong direction. Good luck.

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I think you did fine. As long you have changed the thermal paste, it should do the job. My used i7-3770K has 42 degree celcius on idle and got 72 degree full load playing battlefield 1, they get hot especially after overclock it. The best indicator of your heatsink working or not is: the temperature should quickly reduced after the cpu out of full load, while the exhaust fan blowing out the hot air almost in the same time as the temperature rise.

Forget using water cooler, its not worth the hassle. Especially for 2013 cpu. The best you can do is using push pull method on your cooler master 212. Push pull mean you using 2 fan for the heatsink. You can google how to set it.

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I have heatsink FAN connect to CPU_FAN but the fans from case its 4 are ccnnected to PSU not to mobo.

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Board bios is the last one.
I already check the +12V are not correct but sometime the HWmonitor its not correct. I have been thinking if my PSU still with good life, already have 4 years. I read a post in other forum a guy with same problem, high temps stock clock and problem is the PSU.

My room ambient its arround 25º i live in Portugal its summer here very hot.

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

i thinking buy some fans for case and 1 more for coolerto see if solve problem.

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

can you recommend me some good fans for cooler and case?

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

noctua fans

High ambient temps especially during the summer, will certainly increase your systems temperature range. In the winter the temps will look more normal. That's why in the summertime you should use a modified fan curve (with higher RPMs) which will compensate for the higher ambient temps. You should have all your system fans plugged into the motherboard and manually make different fan curves for every season. You should always balance temperatures and RPM noise produced by the fans.

As for the PSU, you should consider changed it. It's a mediocre unit not designed for power hungry gaming gaming systems. It's also notorious online for stability issues especially as it gets older.

Finally in some (rare) cases a PSU can also increase the average system temps if it provides "bad" power to the system but not by much (1-3 C). Good luck.

I can't find the specs on your case for max CPU cooler height.

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Already order 3 Noctua Fans 2 NF-S12 1200 rpm and 1 NF-S12 800RPM ill try change case fans for this ones think Can get better airflow.
Iam really think change my Psu Can u advise one? Iam looking for a modular i see Cooler Mastee V650 Modular its a good one? I want one good under 100€.
My 212 evo think its max cooler size i can put in my case almost touch side cove jusy 2 or 3 mm till touch.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
check the voltage for stock its 1.251vcore
The problem is here. 1.251v is too high for 212 EVO. Get a better cooler or manually lower clocks and voltage. Something like 1.200v should be better. You have a Z mobo so no problem there. I'll assume you're using 4.4GHz turbo so going back to 4.2GHz should be much better for the time.

Also, use the balanced power plan if you're using the performance mode. Should help with idle temps too.

As for the PSU, you can use this link for reference. Tier 1 and 2 are the best ones for long-term solutions. Should last for your next pc too. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Solution

rcfaro

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Have 2 seasonic focus plus series ssr-650fx one is GLOD other PLATINIUM whats is diference? Gold - 89€ And Platinium - 115€ worth the diference or Gold is good enouogh?

Edit: Iam cheking Tier List and Cooler Master V650 is Tier 1 and seasonic focus plus series ssr-650fx is Tier 2 just have 10€ diference betwen them.