Question 4790K not working on a B85M-ITX

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Hi there :)

I have a working i5 + B85M-ITX setup and I recently got a 4790K CPU; the CPU works on a separate motherboard but when I replace it on the B85M-ITX and turn it on, fans are spinning and nothing else happens (no video).

I notice that the power LED button near the power on button stays on, but not much else (normally it would not)

Any ideas how to solve this problem? I am lost. Bios is already upgraded to latest and I have cleared CMOS a few times

Lutfij

Titan
Is this the motherboard you're working with? If so, while on the known working i5, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? In retrospect, you're advised to include the rest of the components attached to your motherboard, i.e, your full system's specs, considering that this is a troubleshooting thread.

Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Age of the PSU in the build? Might want to inspect the CPU socket for any bent/broken pins. Disconnect from the wall and display and remove the CMOS battery for 30 minutes before replacing.

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
You may need the P2.00 bios to run a 4790K:
It is already at latest version, see my first post.

what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?
Latest version as written in first post; it is 2.50
In retrospect, you're advised to include the rest of the components attached to your motherboard, i.e, your full system's specs, considering that this is a troubleshooting thread.
Chassis, GPU, SSD/HDD, OS and monitor do not matter: I am testing using 2 motherboards, same RAM and same PSU. The only part changing is the CPU and in one case it works, in another it does not.