[SOLVED] 4790k OC Help

gr8tst

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
Hey y'all.
I'm planning on overclocking my 4790k and have some questions and am just in need of some general help. These are my specs,
ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX
i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Z97-A ATX LGA1150
Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
750D ATX Full Tower Case
RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
850 EVO SSD 1TB with Windows 10 Installed
I'm trying to figure out how to go about stress testing, but when using Prime95 I reach really high temperatures almost immediately after starting the torture test. Does this mean I can't overclock?
I have some other questions but I figure it won't be much use to ask those until I find out if I can overclock at all.
Thanks in advance all.

Solution
Perhaps your MB is applying a higher than required core voltage...

Or, perhaps your MB already has some preset PC routines engaged?

HWMonitor will certainly show what clock speeds are hit on various cores...; if you see anything above 4.4 GHz on a single core, or , above 4.0 GHz on all -core load such as Prime95, it's overclocked already...by whatever methods achieved it. (BIOS settings, Intel XTU, etc)...

Or, perhaps your cooler assembly pump, if aged by 18-24 months, is failing/has hard water and/or algae deposits, etc...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm trying to figure out how to go about stress testing, but when using Prime95 I reach really high temperatures almost immediately after starting the torture test. Does this mean I can't overclock?
What individual CPU core temperatures are you reaching?

When was the last time you repasted and reseated the cooler?
How is air flow for the rest of your case?
How much and how are you overclocking?

gr8tst

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
What individual CPU core temperatures are you reaching?

When was the last time you repasted and reseated the cooler?
How is air flow for the rest of your case?
How much and how are you overclocking?
Around 85 degrees? And I reseated and repasted maybe about a month ago with a pretty good application of paste. The airflow is pretty good I have 2 pull fans on the front of the case and 2 push fans on the cpu cooler radiator on the top. I'm not overclocking much maybe like from 4 ghz to 4.1/2 rn until Im sure i can go higher. And using Bios

Perhaps your MB is applying a higher than required core voltage...

Or, perhaps your MB already has some preset PC routines engaged?

HWMonitor will certainly show what clock speeds are hit on various cores...; if you see anything above 4.4 GHz on a single core, or , above 4.0 GHz on all -core load such as Prime95, it's overclocked already...by whatever methods achieved it. (BIOS settings, Intel XTU, etc)...

Or, perhaps your cooler assembly pump, if aged by 18-24 months, is failing/has hard water and/or algae deposits, etc...

Solution