[SOLVED] 4790k power throttling

xdudu99

Honorable
Nov 23, 2018
I have a 4790k @4.7ghz 1.351v and everytime it reaches 150w power draw, it throttles back to 4.0, sometimes even 800mhz. Thermals are OK, peaking at 71c in normal use.
Throttlestop dosent work, it just disable the oc and forces 4.2ghz.
In the Bios, I have the power limit at max (4092 I think), but it changes nothing. My mobo is a h81m-c/br.
Any ideas?

Solution
H81 mobo? This one is NOT designed to overclock anything, let alone 4790k. If you installed a special BIOS which enables OC, you are not doing yourself (or your board) any favors, since it has very poor VRMs and will certainly not last long with such use.

In this case, I believe that it is actually the motherboard holding you back - VRM overheating specifically.

You need a Z97 motherboard with proper OC support and proper hardware, especially good VRMs which also need to be adequately cooled.

Lutfij

Titan
1| Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?
2| What sort of cooler are you using to cool that processor?
3| Those voltages are really high, you should be in the 1.25v range at that kind of an overclock, or at the very least, below 1.3v.
4| I think you're misinterpretting the CPU temps with that of your VRM temps.

Board is also devoid of any VRM heatsinks
placa-me-asus-h81m-cbr-D_NQ_NP_802497-MLB26233807448_102017-O.jpg

Which is a concern IMHO as to how long you've been running that overclock on that system...?

H81 mobo? This one is NOT designed to overclock anything, let alone 4790k. If you installed a special BIOS which enables OC, you are not doing yourself (or your board) any favors, since it has very poor VRMs and will certainly not last long with such use.

In this case, I believe that it is actually the motherboard holding you back - VRM overheating specifically.

You need a Z97 motherboard with proper OC support and proper hardware, especially good VRMs which also need to be adequately cooled.

Solution

xdudu99

Honorable
Nov 23, 2018
I know its not meant to overclocking, but its able to. The VRMs arent that hot,HWmonitor show constant 85c, but touching them feels like room temperature (both the capacitors and the mosfet). The h60 is doing a pretty good job on cooling, but monitoring the power draw, the 150w mark and the throttle are synced every time, which makes me believe that thats whats holding me back. Unless Realtemp shows the VRM voltage, wich makes no goddam sense, im not misinterpretting data. This is a Hasswell chip, not skylake or coffeelake, so 1.350 is what you would expect. Even jayz2cents made a video if i remember correctly, where he reached 4.6 at 1.3 i think. Im not upgrading to a z-chipset until i have enough money for a 8gen or 9gen cpu. Im just trying to figure out if im missing something thats holding this chip. Btw, i started overclocking 6~7 years ago, never had this problem.