4790K reaches 100C temperature easily

FaroukZidane

Honorable
May 4, 2013
CPU temperature is 45C-50C at idle and reaches 90C-100C easily on games like FIFA 17, I haven't tried something more stressful due to danger. I remounted the cooler and reapplied thermal paste but in vain. I know the case is small with limited airflow but I don't believe such reason. Ambient temperature is around 35C but I tried with the air conditioning (ambient temperature 23C) and the problem persists.
Here's a screenshot from RealTemp: http://tinypic.com/r/34ycknt/9

CPU: 4790K
Cooler: Corsair H60
Case: Corsair 380T
RAM: 16GB Corsair
MB: Z97i-PLUS
SSD: Kingston V300 120GB
HDD: 1TB Black
VGA: GTX 970 G1

What is your CPU's core voltage when running at full load?

CPU-_Z_i7-4790_K_Full_Load.jpg

The problem is with the design of the mounting bracket. On thinner motherboards there is insufficient clamping force applied by the mounting bracket to the cooler pump assembly's copper cold plate against the CPU's integrated heat spreader.

If you currently have this:
Corsair_H80i_retention_nut_1.jpg

and you're seeing the mounting nut protrude, even slightly, above the motherboard's top surface like this:
Corsair_H80i_retention_nut_2.jpg

then you'll get temperatures higher than they should be. You need to add spacers or washers like this:
Corsair_H80i_retention_nut_3.jpg
Corsair_H60_Mounting_Bracket_Mod.jpg

so that you end up with this:
Corsair_H80i_retention_nut_4.jpg

which should solve your problem.

FaroukZidane

Honorable
May 4, 2013
I've tried many things but no luck. The mounting bracket and screws are like this:
2h830yb.jpg

Would the stock cooler perform better in this case? I even want around 70C on games like FIFA 17 until I get another cooler, I'm not saying full load 100%.