[SOLVED] 4790k reaches to 48c-52c in 720p60 video watching on YouTube, normal?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I still did not upgraded my i7 4790k nor its stock fan and if the things continue to go that way nowadays currently I will never be able to do so. Watching a video on YouTube that is 720p60 quality causing the cpu jumped into 50c'ish zone, with over watching in 15+ minute it rapidly reaches to even 65c. I found it very disturbing and annoying because this happens with HT disabled from BIOS. Previously with HT it reaches to even higher. Is this normal at all? Mind you this happens with cpu power reduced to %65 from power settings, because stock fan is so bad and we haven't got the chance to get a better cpu fan back then. Any other ways to cool down this cpu? I can only imagine with over 1 hour watching a Netflix movie it would fry my cpu in a long term. Thank you in advance

Solution
You need to check your paste and cooler installation--it shouldn't be running like that. Worse case, set the cpu fan to 100%--that will definitely keep it from burning up.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I did choose Passive system cooling policy (windows power settings) instead of active, active increases fan speed before slowing down the cpu so that did not work well in my end, so I did switched to passive which slows down CPU before the fan speed, I will let you know how that works in upcoming days,

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I don't think I will, for the first time ever, I can watch a 1440p youtube video without temp issues- normally it would jump to the 55c zone rather quickly the moment I switch to 1080p, but now thanks to passive system cooling policy I can watch it in 38c-41c, and I tested it within like 20minutes its going all good as far as I see in HWINFO64 and msi afterburner.

I will also test this in video games as well and let you know how it goes soon