[SOLVED] 4790k running at 100°C

Feb 19, 2020
I'm running a 4790k on a Asus Z97-a mobo. It used to run well but now at any small load (<50%) it reach 100° C. It's is cooled with a Corsair H80i GT. I just changed the thermal paste and pretty sur about the installation of the cooler. The cooler could have gone bad but if I touch the cooler pipes on is blazing hot and the other is pretty chilled, letting me think that the radiator is doing his job. Otherwise the computer actually run kinda well, nice frame rate in games and browse well, I'm just scared to burn my CPU...

Running a fresh windows 10 install and the most recent BIOS update. All setting are running at default.

The CUP will easily reach 100° C at low load and about 40W of consumption.

Hope ya'll can help, I felt like I'va tried everything.

Solution
The water cooler pump is bad, The water shouldn't have that big a difference, should feel the same on both sides. get another aio or an air cooler, if you have the stock fan still, use that.
It could be the cooler that is failing or the Intel thermal compound between the CPU die and the lid have deteriorated.
It no longer can transfer the heat from the CPU die to the lid (IHS) causing the CPU to overheat.
In the latter case you only choice might be to delid the CPU and use new thermal compound.

Last edited:
Put your finger on the CPU block and hold. Do you feel any vibrations? If yes the pump is working. If not.. well its either not plugged in or it has died.

If it vibrates and works. Then take it off. re-apply TIM and remount the cooler since you have done something wrong in that prossess.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
If one hose is hot and the other is cold you got a dead pump or a blockage of flow. The temp difference of the hoses should be within 2-3 degrees.
Your aio works via cicles of 100 of litres dissapating heat through the rad. Not like an assembly line bringing all heat through one hose, dumping it on the rad and coming back cold. Thats not how it works. I hope that example is understandable.

It's not normal to have such temp delta on the tubings. It could be a dead pump, or clogged or even an air bubble. You could try to remove the radiator and shake it gently, then shake the block while the radiator is on higher level to help release the clog or the air bubble, if that pump is not dead yet.