4790k stock Prime95 reaching up to 80c

LeDood

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
4790k at stock reaching up to 80c in Prime95 with a Kraken x61. I've had this build since about 2014 and it has been heavily used almost consistently since. I think the pump on the AIO is going out. Air coming out exhaust from case is ever so slightly warm, cool compared to the exhaust from the radiator. Am I right to assume the pump if faulty?
HrCpyUd.png

Solution
That's Prime95 version 29.4,which will use AVX instructions on Haswell or newer cpus. What this means for you is that the cpu is realistically working at 120% in temps comparisons. This is a known thing for Haswell and newer. However games don't use AVX, neither does 95% of consumer applications, it's mainly used by professionals and a few testing apps like Cinebench and Asus RealBench.

For a more accurate assessment of what a pc will go through at a standard 100% load, delete the Prime95 version 29.4 and use Prime95 version 26.6 small fft instead, as it does not use AVX.

As far as exhausts go, you have an Aio. This takes just the cpu heat and exhausts it out. The case exhaust is just for the rest of the pc including the gpu. Some of...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's Prime95 version 29.4,which will use AVX instructions on Haswell or newer cpus. What this means for you is that the cpu is realistically working at 120% in temps comparisons. This is a known thing for Haswell and newer. However games don't use AVX, neither does 95% of consumer applications, it's mainly used by professionals and a few testing apps like Cinebench and Asus RealBench.

For a more accurate assessment of what a pc will go through at a standard 100% load, delete the Prime95 version 29.4 and use Prime95 version 26.6 small fft instead, as it does not use AVX.

As far as exhausts go, you have an Aio. This takes just the cpu heat and exhausts it out. The case exhaust is just for the rest of the pc including the gpu. Some of the case heat will also be absorbed by the radiator as its an exhaust too. With a normal air cooler, the cpu dumps its heat into the case, so case exhausts will be hot. With the Aio, that part is skipped by direct exhaust instead.
No, your pump isn't failing, you just haven't adjusted to the differences between AIO's and aircoolers yet.

Solution
If your radiator exhaust is warm, that is a good thing, that is the heat being transferred from the radiator....

Prime95's later versions are often considered an unrealistic torturous workload, and for sure near worst case ever encountered, but, if you can find/use v26.6, it typically incurs a somehwat more realistic CPU stress that an intensive game such as BF1 causes. My own testing shows that Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility /CPU stress test adds about the same stresses, enough to make my 7700K at about 63-64C, same as temp encountered w/ P95 v26.6....

LeDood

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

My reasoning for mentioning the case exhaust vs radiator exhaust was that I felt like the case exhaust would feel the same if not hotter due to the supposedly failing pump. My reasoning was that if the pump was failing then all that heat is trying to dissipate around the CPU itself and thus would heat the case exhaust, but it was rather cool compared to the rad exhaust.

Nevertheless, I've reset back to stock clocks a few years ago for whatever reason and never bothered to overclock again. Just thought about it the other day but I completely forgot about having to use 26.6 over newer versions. That was my confusion because i knew I ran Prime95 just fine beforehand. used 26.6 and temps are where they should be. Thanks for pointing that out before I went and bought another AIO for no reason lol.