4790K temperature under load

Mounty_078

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
Hey, I just build my PC a few days ago and I was wondering what a good temperature is for the 4790K under load. Because I'm not so sure about my temps, while using Prime95 and my CPU running stock 4.0Ghz I got max 75 ºC (167 Fahrenheit). I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as CPU cooler. Is this normal or not? I feel like something went wrong when installing the heatsink, I removed it 3 times so I'm not so sure if it's good or not. Also I think I might have touched the CPU once but I'm not really sure.

Solution

No problem fellow Otaku
I believe it's still within safe temperatures. i7's do run fairly war. But yeah try reapplying the thermal paste. If you have a clean microfiber cloth around, you could try using that to make sure the surfaces are clean before reapplying the thermal paste.

Mounty_078

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

Yeah, I thought that if would just check if it's on applied right and then put it back fast there wouldn't be a problem. I think I'm going to reapply the thermal paste tomorrow. What a nightmare, applying it the first time was already terrible, I was sweating like a dog the first time, now I've got to do it again! Anyway thanks Edward! :)

Taafe

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

No problem fellow Otaku

Solution

Ellis_D

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Those temps are fine and it seems like the 4790k just runs hot. I just got mine a few days ago and immediately ran into the same issues and since then, I've been feverishly trying to research what's going on.

The most I've come up with is that when using the stock "Auto" settings, the voltage is much higher than needed and this is what's causing the main issues with high temperatures.