4790k temps maxing out with ANY overclock

PMac85

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I'll start by saying I've been OC'ing my GPU for years but this is my first time attempting to OC my CPU.

SPECS:

MSI 270x 2GB
16GB 1866 DDR3
MSI z97 Gaming 3
Hyper 212 EVO

I've watched a few videos and read some guides for my specific chip, but for some reason anything over the stock clock hits 100C almost instantly in Prime95 or OCCT (Small FFT).

I started by trying for what seems to be the average safe OC by putting vcore at 1.3 and Core clock at 4.5. I've tried auto and adaptive for vcore, left everything else at auto, and tried with and without XMP.

I'm getting temps around 65-72 at 100% with the stock clock, and I've tried lowering the core clock from my initial test at 4.5 down to 4.4 and vcore to 1.28, and I'm getting the same results.

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but I know I should be getting better results than this. I've got piles of fans, and my case has great airflow, so these temps at such a modest OC just don't seem right to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Patrick

PMac85

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hi Terry, I haven't run any tests yet with OC Genie turned on, but the stock turbo is 4.4GHz, and my temps are stable with that, and I believe all OC Genie does is lock the core clock to a constant 4.4 is that correct? Aside from that, if I'm getting good temperatures in Prime on the stock clock, wouldn't it make sense that my thermal paste is fine? I would have thought that a bad application would result in high temps even at stock speeds...

From what I understand, the core clock that the OC Genie sets will vary depending upon the processor. If it is like the Asus version, you will have several overclocks to choose from. But the point is it is fast which is good when you are trying to troubleshoot it.

You said, "I'm getting temps around 65-72 at 100% with the stock clock". That isn't bad, but those are near the temps that you should be getting with your overclock. Most people try to keep the CPU temperature under 80 C at the overclock frequency. And my point is that with the current cooling you don't have much thermal capacity to overclock with. The CPU frequency at idle will remain the same, but the CPU frequency at 100% will change to whatever overclock that you select. So at idle you will have 4.0 Ghz and 4.4+ GHz at boost with the overclock

PMac85

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply Terry, I cleaned all of my fans and any remaining dust in my case and I'm getting temps between 23C and 28C at idle, and around 70C at 100% with OC Genie turned on; I didn't get any options to choose an OC setting when enabling OC Genie, just ON or OFF, and it set the frequency to 4400MHz. I then attempted to manually set the core to 4.4GHz, and upon testing it immediately maxed out the temperatures and shut down (100C using Prime95, and I believe OCCT auto-shutdown at 88C). This was with auto voltage (around 1.2v) and everything else at stock settings.

Any ideas why OC Genie works fine at 4.4GHz, but any manual changes result in overheating? Just for a test I even tried it at 4.1GHz, with the same results...

The automatic overclock options are going to use the motherboard settings at optimum for a safe overclock. I am guessing that there is some setting (that gets set to manual instead of auto) that is being overlooked or set wrong. It is easy to do.

I would suggest watching some of the overclocking videos (for this series of motherboard) to optimize your overclock. But it seems clear that temperatures are going to limit the overclocking to around 4.4 GHZ. Some processors overclock well and others don't.