[SOLVED] 4790k VS 9700k at 4K produce EQUAL framerates, why?

Alijericho

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
I saw a CPU compare video on YOUTUBE of 4790k VS 9700k. At 1080p resolution, the gap was big, at 1440p the gap was less, but at 4K the gap was almost NON existent. Why on earth?

Hypothetically, @ 1080p the 4790k and 9700k were sending 140 frames and 240 frames respectively. Hence the gap. So likewise, shudnt @ 4k res 4790k and 9700k produce 40 frames and 70 frames respectively? But in reality we saw no gap. Why?

They say CPU has less load at 4k because it needs to compute less frames per second (lets say 60 instead of 240) BUT arnt those frames 4 times more detailes/pixeled each frame also? So CPU works 4 times as much than 1080p? Then why arnt we seeing difference between two CPUs at 4k since both are working full load while 9700k is clearly faster on paper? Please explain in detail anyone. Thanks

GPU :- RTX 2080Ti

Comparative video
https://youtu.be/WtSTtn8bsfY

Solution
Depends on the game/test in question. Also, the 2080Ti would not be a bottleneck here, just a limiting factor. In order for it to be a bottleneck it would have to cause the processor to slow down and wait. The processor can still work at full potential even if the GPU was maxed out.

I wouldnt say in general terms that the 4790k can keep up with the 2080Ti fully, but it certainly is capable.

Impossible to say what future cards would do.
As resolution increases more of the load is on the GPU, so the processor becomes less of a factor.
The processors are still doing their own work, but the GPU becomes the limiting factor meaning the processors finish their work before the GPU. Sure the 9700k did the work faster, but if the 4790k can finish before the GPU as well, the frames remain similar.

Alijericho

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
So, can we assume that RTX 2080ti was fully saturated with both processors and was potentially causing bottleneck for 9700k. Lets say a 3080Ti would remove that bottleneck and show a gap between the two CPUs?

Depends on the game/test in question. Also, the 2080Ti would not be a bottleneck here, just a limiting factor. In order for it to be a bottleneck it would have to cause the processor to slow down and wait. The processor can still work at full potential even if the GPU was maxed out.

I wouldnt say in general terms that the 4790k can keep up with the 2080Ti fully, but it certainly is capable.

Impossible to say what future cards would do.

Solution

Alijericho

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Okay i got you now. I had this other question, you said "as resolution increases more of the load is on the GPU" how come? Isnt CPU working 4 times also to feed GPU with a 4k res frame? Why only GPU feels the pressure? Doesn't CPU compute those extra pixels and GPU has to simply follows instructions? Can GPU draw frames by itself?

The display is the dedicated task of the GPU not the CPU. The CPU runs the system, but the display is up to the GPU.

What you ask would be true if you were using the integrated graphics.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I assume you mean in comparison to 1080p, the answer is no.

The CPU feeds the GPU information, but that can be mathematical in nature. So the calculation for occlusion would be a fixed value regardless of the resolution. The order to the GPU would be render this object at X resolution with X settings, but this other object is in front of it from point A to B. the GPU then does the rendering and determines what color each pixel should be. And in this case doesn't bother to render something behind another object. If you change what the render does then it may take more or less time, but the data necessary to create the output certainly won't be as large as the output.

Very simplified, but I don't really know the terms to really get into how rendering works well enough to explain it.

Its not a linear scale, so the processor just supplies the same amount of information, but the GPU has to take longer to process it for display.