4870 make my pc crash

zakash2

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
hey all, i bought new 4870 week ago and i was busy fixing this problem...
i bought brand new pc:
Core 2 Quad Q9300, 1333MHz, s775, 6MB
EP45-DS3R s775 C2Q 1600Mhz, Intel P45, DDR2 1200, 2xPCI-E
DDR2 800mhz 2x2GB OCZ Vista Upgrade Copper Mirrored XTC Heatspreader
HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 DX10.1 HDTV 2xDVI PCI-E
Ezcool Ps-1000 500watt
HD 500GB Samsung

i installed Vista 64-bit.. did Test with 3dmark.. played Crysis.... Player BF2 and few others games... untill i installed GTA San andreas.... while i playing San andreas my Screens returns to alot of cubes or gray, and after few seconds its become Back with no singal msg. i thoght it's can be a problem with the Windows so i installed XP... The same problem. Then i tried alot of drivers... still crashing.... then someone told me that its becose GTA is old game... so i said ok... let it be.... but today i played Half Life 2 and BOOM, the same problem... after few People told me that the have the same problem, it an problem for me.... the funny thing its all of them got the 4870 by Sapphire....

i'm waiting for any replay.. i Really want the card... and i thinking to switch it to other one.... i Hope we can fix it....

the topic on ATI forum: http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...&enterthread=y
The Crash Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImhGgDLQYo

Thanks Guys!!!

zakash2

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Driver, tried alot of them... now 8.8...
Heat... 52 max when 100% GPU Activity (40% and 60-80% when playing).
Power Supply? nope.. dont think so... i can play Crysis for 2 houers, but can't play GTA 15 min? + check the ATI topic.. the people there haveing really good PSU... what you thinking guys?

I searched for your psu, and only found sites that wouldnt translate, all others didnt have any information. Check on the sides of your psu for the amperage for both of your 12 volt rails, or combined wattage. Im almost certain its your psyu at this point

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
it really seems like a PSU issue. even if crysis worked earlier for awhile that doesn't rule it out. do you have the specs on it?

zakash2

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
here it is:

21082008002jc0.jpg

21082008qn8.jpg

how i can be totally sure that its the PSU? i need to know cuz i thinking to switch to GTX260... tomarrow.....

zakash2

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
well, someone told me on ATI forums...

"I have a similar, if not identical problem ... Zakash, thanks for posting the video! Here are my specs:

Q9450

Asus Rampage Formula - flashed to latest BIOS

OCZ PC-8500 Reaper 4GB

2 HD 4870's in crossfire, with Artic Accelero S1 Rev. 2

OCZ Pro Xstream 1000W PSU

Vista x64 ultimate

Idle GPU Temp: ~ 50 C.

I've tested on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as well as Furmark, and the same thing happens. Things will be working smoothly for a few minutes, and then the screen goes black and loses the signal, but the system continues to operate. I noticed the GPU temp while running Furmark just before crash was 70 C. Not exactly overheating, IMHO.

Out of desparation, I've upped my PCI-E freq. to 105, and tweaked my memory timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs. I don't know if the 3rd party cooler is the culprit, or if there's an underlying driver issue. I've tried various versions of Catalyst, all to no avail. I'm at a loss, and there doesn't seem to be any "quick fix" out there yet...hopefully we can resolve this soon!"

his psu its bad too?

And, youre having the problems that made us think in this direction. Even tho your psu allows you to play, for awhile, it heats up, as it heats up, it becomes less effective, making it draw more power to do the same job. As it draws more power, it heats even more, after a bit of time, it all crashes

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Dont come ask for advice if you dont want it.

You, and him have way different setups and different issues.

His power supply sould be good but he has some obvious differnt issues then you.

His problem is most likely ram or aftermarket cooler issues.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

It's totally irrelevant what that person is seeing.
The Picture of your PSU explicitly shows that it does not have sufficient amperage.
Watts are only a small part of the story.
And even there, the cheap PSU manufacturers lie.
They often list brief peaks they can handle and not sustained.

Grab the AntecEarthWatts 500 from NewEgg that is on sale and you will be perfectly fine.
That may not even fix your problem since you could have multiple problems.
But one is definitely your PSU.
Personally, I would not even turn my system on with that PSU again, otherwise all my parts may fry.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

The Power Requirements for an EVGA GeForce GTX 260 is minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp.)

Your PSU only has 22 amps. Don't expect to run that card on the PSU you currently have either. Do yourself a favor, listen to everyone's advice and buy a quality PSU from manufactures like: Corsair, PC powering & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, etc.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
First of all a survey on one of the respected sites (I forget which one) showed that a budget 500 watt supply frequently can not even provide 350 watts without becoming unstable or shutting down. That PSU may not even be capable of 22 amps on the 12v rail. Secondly, while replacing the PSU is a must, it IS a new computer, without a history of being stable, so there are other possible factors such as bad memory or improper clocking or memory latency settings. Yes that may only affect some games and applications and not others.

zakash2

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
well thanks guys....
onemore thing.. what gonna work good with my system?
Thermaltake 450W TR2 RX W0146RI Retail - http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/TR2power/w0146/w0146.asp#
Jewel 550 - SP-ATX-550WTN-PFC - http://www.spirecoolers.com/main/product_detail.asp?ProdID=697#
Antec EarthWatts EA430 430W Retail - http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=27430
Antec EarthWatts EA500 500W Retail - http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=27430

edit: and there any programs that can test my PSU? thanks :p