4870 make my pc crash

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zakash2

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
ok somthing that mayb can help.. i check the PC's of the other guys and found something... check this out:

ASUS P5Q Pro

Kingston DDR2-800 x2

Saphirre 4870 512MB Ram

Antec TP-III PSU 650W

CCC 8.8

Vista SP1

2 GB Ram

Asus P5VD2-X Motherboard

Sapphire HD 4870

PSU 500 W +12V @ 54A

we all got the 45...

after fast search on the web i found something that can help:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=268307

Code:
Anyhow, refering to my post above I finally got the reason behind the stablity issues.

ASUS P5Q-E default voltage for RAM even stock speed is too low. bumped that from 1.8v to 2.1v and magic it works and no more random crashing. 3 days now of running perfect.

Thank you to all those who helped.

Code:
on't get me wrong its a great board. But, its just a suprise that default/auto settings failed where as other ASUS boards (this is my 3rd board from ASUS) have been ok with not having to actually mess around with those settings. Timings etc I just let the SPD do its thing (since this is where manufacturer is meant to keep settings). So it was default (timing) @ default (voltage). Not 4-4-4-12 @ default/auto. Its now on default (timing) @ 2.1v. I'm not here to tweak the crap out of the machine to get 100 more points in 3dMark - any edition OR another 1% in fps from any game. Hence, I'm ok with lax timings.

Also note that I did say that I tested this with Memtest on default (timing) @ default (voltage) that passed.

if someone gonna try that update us what's going on... my VGA is not here right now so.......

one more thing, its not deangers to do that?

Then jaydeejohn was right. It wasn't the card at all.

Check your RAMs operating voltages. If they're below 2.1v u will get those random crashes with any card i think.

Good thing it wasn't Sapphire, i was about to buy a 4870 from them, lol.

Esop!

lynx77

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Hey guys I'm getting the same problem as Zakash here but instead of GTA I'm getting these random crashes on EVE-Online.

My specs:

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 (ofc)

Windows MCE service pack 2
Intel Core 2 2.13 ghz
Intel D97XBX2 mobo
PSU ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194003

Mainly I'm wondering if my PSU is also not good enough. If you look at the new egg link you can find a picture with the specs on the side of the unit. ATI claims that this PSU is certified for this card (http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.html#pstop)

Any help would be hugely appreciated because Eve-online is the main game I play.

unconnected

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I've got two boxes at home at the moment, one's a GTX280 setup (which is running fine) and the other is, yes you guessed it, a Sapphire 4870 setup.

I recently bought Spore and installed it on my GTX280, all was fine. Few days later my wife is using my GTX280 machine so I install Spore on my 4870 box, it gets to the title screen, then on to the next screen and it crashes. With further testing I found it happens every time.

I've also had a few crashes from Mercenaries 2 on that box too. I've got a copy of GTA:SA on Steam, which I'll fire up later and see if it causes any issues similar to the ones described above.

Full specs for the 4870 machine:

Sapphire 4870 512MB 2xDVI (using dual monitor setup too)
AMD 5000+ (65nm) X2
Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT
M2N32-SLi-DLX nForce 590 SLi
8GB RAM
Vista 64bit (Enterprise FWIW)

robjp74

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Can anyone help i have just bought a saphire hd4780 x2 and everytime i try to run a game my comp is rebootin, i tried the driver that came with the card and also the latest off ati sight, so i know its not a driver issue also updated my bios on my intel d975xbx2, im runnin vista 64 and tried a reinstall, i have come to the conclusion either the card is a bit dodgey or my power supply is not givin enough juice its a XILENCE 800W.

i doubt the card is faulty cause i only have probs tryin to run games, its supposed to run on a 650w supply so i was not expectin a prob with my supply...

thanx ;}

G

ok anyone have any luck with the ram voltage fix?

I currently run 8.9 drivers and have my mushkin ram at 2.1 volts and I can't get a stable card NO MATTER WHAT... anyone have any updates on this?

burtzz

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
i have a powercolor hd4870 pcs+ 1gb.

And i also have problems during games.
Randoms VPU recover crashes. Its random, i can play during 1hour and no crash, or even 15mins and a crash comes.

Aint a PSU problem, I have a OCZ 600w with 4 12v rails. with 18A on each.
Temps are good, its a pcs+ version, it rarely goes above 58ºC during games.
Rest is a P5Q-E board, 2GHZ mem, and an Intel Core2Duo E8400.
The card is the second version, according to some info, 2nd version cards of this model, have 4 grey squares at the side of the heatsink

Steve_long

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
HEY!!! I have a Toxic Edition ....Sapphire 4870 too...yes I get the whole PC turning off, not crashing, but turning off randomly within 10 mins!

The 4870 takes about 130 Watts Idle, so my PSU should be ok. I expect it to crash, during heavy 3D apps, not when Im using Word and flicking to different files.

ITS a Sapphire problem, and with mine, theres an added issue of Avivo not working to display Blue-Ray content. Sound comes through - but no video.

Steve_long

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008

You may be barking up the wrong tree again. My setup uses a P5E Asus. And it ran an HD 2900XT Asus fine. I ran the memory just bellow 2 volts since the P5E has known issues with voltages. When I changed over to a Sapphire 4870 Feb time, things bagan to go wrong.

(Plus my Blue-ray does not play with Avivo hardware on)

BeoStyx

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Play a game then Rat; Company of Heroes OF, Warhammer Dawn of War II, or any of the fps' mentioned. The guys here have it pegged. Troubles begin when you use a Sapphire. I have no beef to grind against Sapphire (yet); I've been using Sapphire for years, back to when they made the Radeon X800. There is definitely something wrong with this batch.

I recently just posted a support ticket asking for a BIOS update. Hope I get it soon, or I will commit to another brand name, maybe even switch over to NVidia based boards completely. I'm tired at looking at my son's NVidia rig and can't help but saying how smooth his video seems compared to mine. I'm sorry... if Sapphire is one of the biggest sellers of ATI cards, then they are sincerely doing ATI a disservice. I need easy access to some sort of fix... and soon.

Steve_long

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008

WHat the.....your post is as helpful as a kick in the pants.

Whats your specs?

Dont tell me, its an AMD based rig?

kevinharris

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
i got a question. I have a HD4870 512mb and i hav all the same problem too but does this problem happen with all the other ATI graphic card such as the SAPPHIRE RADEON HD5870 1GB GDDR 5?