4870 review!!! Hope its real

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I gotta say i am impressed, I'm just wondering how long will it take for the official launch of the 4870, and then of course the 4870x2.

I am also interested in the RV740, it is more powerful than the hd3870, and should make a price point of like 150-ish I'd have to assume, making it a killer mainstream card. even the 4670 and the 4650 seem like extremely powerful value cards, well based on what is rumored to be there GPU hardware make-up...

So I have to see where this is going, but so far, woodwork ati, now keep up the momentum is all, and AMD should be pimping you out al night long! :lol:

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
The 4870 beats the 260 and is only 10% off the 280 for a lot less $$$

the 4870x2 will destroy anything Nvidia can offer, said this before - a 280 gx2 is not possible with the current chip - it's too big, too hot, too much power, and the killer is too complex a PCB required with that fat bus.

It's good to see how the tables can be completely overturned overnight... The ATI boys just need to rub some off this luck off to the AMD boys and hope 45nm phenom can deliver...

Seems like a good review. Puts the 4870 and the gtx 260 very close in performance. Pretty much a driver race for the 2 cards. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nvidia drop their gtx prices by $100 in the next few weeks so the 260 and the 4870 are about the same price.

Problem there as it gets real tight on their profit margins. Almost a gig of memory, 512 bus, all those wires/connects, plus the yields on the die arent that great, plus its size. Lotsa uphill for nVidia from here on out

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Detailed review, but results are scarely good - this casts a shade of doubt by itself :) High res with AA gets on the GTX280 heels for half a price? Give me one of those, better two ;)

AAArDvArK

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Great find!!! Thanks for the post.

Man that gets my blood pumping!!! I am glad I did not get a 280GTX.

Now to wait for launch, going to get me two of those to run my 22" 1600X1050 screen. Should run most games on fairly high if not max at really good FPS.

Only negatives are those power consumption numbers, not to mension the temps and noise. Might have to get a couple of after market coolers like the passive S1s from Arctic Cooling.

Do you guys think that a 750W Corsair will be enough to run two of these safely? I really dont want to go 1K, the prices are high and im already over budget.