4870 stopped working

kolov

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
I have a 4870 1g card, running in a MSI P7N platinum MB, 4 gig OCZ Ram, Vista Ultimate 32, has been running fine since I installed several months ago. I tried to adjust the clock settings using catalyst beyond what the auto tune had set, without running a test. As soon as I applied the settings, the display pixelated and went away. I restarted in safe mode, tried to open catalyst, got the message that no display driver was found. I downloaded 9.7, and got an error message, hardware detection failed to install. I tried an earlier driver version, same error message. I restarted in normal mode, display again pixelated and shutdown. I was able to open CCC in safe mode, to restore defaults, restarted, and display stopped working. Since the problems started after I changed the clock settings, I am guessing this is not related to another piece of hardware in my system.... Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

kolov

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks for the input, but, just to make sure I am doing it correctly, how do I uninstall the drivers? Just delete them? Or go to the device manager? Thanks

kolov

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Problem solved, I restored to a save point, then went into windows repair menu. I was able to reset the card to default values and stabilize the display. Lesson learned: test settings before applying!