4870 x2 vpu recover

morfinel

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Today arrived my new ati 4870 x2, when I play games there are problems with textures all over the place and artefacts, after few sec fan rapidly increase and I get VPU recover

I have inter core 2 duo e6700 oc 3.1 Ghz 23" monitor 750W psu and 4 GB of ram any suggestions ?? I can disable VPU but why do I get problem with graphic

jennyh

Splendid
Not sure about the artifacting but it could be a bad card or serious overheating.

An e6700 cannot handle a card like a 4870x2 however, get something lower powered like a 4850.

morfinel

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I found the issue. which can be described in 2 words "dell Motherboard"

Actually it was worse on latest CCC drives so I have used Ati tray tools, game can run fine but when artefacts appears then it follow by vpu recover and there is normal temperature which is about 84 which is standard for 4870 x2. I'm thinking to replace dell motherboard with Asus P5Q deluxe and upgrade proxessor.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Well, Dell certainly could be the primary problem here... specially if they made your PSU as well.. Check it out to make sure the rail distribution is correct and th card is getting plenty of current.. I'm not sure how cheep Dell gets on the Powersupply now a days but I wouldnt trust it as far as my cat could throw it..

PSU is the most important part of the computer, if you have some cheep Dell it may "say" 750W but what that really means coudl be burried in a thousand lines of fine print.. :D It is not uncommon for cheep PSU's to rate themselves at PEAK and not sustained load.