4870x2 and FSX clouds

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Hi all,

i have the above card (Gigabyte version with 2gig onboard) and have a real issue with FSX and frame rates but only when flying through clouds. This is supposed to be the best card on the market but does not deliver when playing FSX. Has anybody any ideas how to resolve this issue (not turn off clouds :non: )? I have tried everything to resolve it and think i may have to resort to buying an Nvidia card which seem to run FSX much better, especially when in clouds.

I don't think it is resolvable ... anybody want a 4870x2 ... 5months old £250 or nearest offer, Microdirect sell it for £422.

Thanks

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
People may argue that the GTX295 is the best on the market now, but either way I don't think it would help with FSX.

That title has a history of poor performance and mind numbing system requirements. Plus, I don't know for sure if it gets any performance boost from SLI or Crossfire setups versus just running a single card like the GTX285 or the 4870.

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Thanks for responses guys ....

I have a Q6600 running at 3.6 ghz. This problem is evident only with clouds ... the sim runs fine when the weather is .... fine. I have a friend who runs FSX on his 3.2ghz Q6600 with an 8800gt and averages 30-40 fps in the clouds ... my all powerful 4870x2 can manage about 10-15 fps!!?? I have various add-ons installed, as does my friend ... REX, Ultimate Terrain etc.

It is a cloud only issue ... any ideas

I have tried various drivers but with no success. You get no boost with crossfire or SLI I believe.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007

It sounds like new drivers could fix the issue however I can't tell you when or if those fixes ever come. If FSX means that much to you then you can go with another card if not then I say just keep it and hope for a new driver that addresses the problem.

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
I think you may be right NuclearShadow,

I do play other games i.e. Left 4 dead, Crysis and these games run like a dream but the game I play the most, by far, is FSX and I have invested heavily in the game .. over £200 pounds of add-ons. The card is 5 months old with cash sale receipt from/and MicroDirect do the card for http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/38035 ... is £250ish a fair price?

I would like to keep the card but after reading many posts on various forums I think ATI will not be fixing the issue any time soon I feel I may need to get an Nvidia card .. annoying thing is I got this card and gave my old 8800gt to my mother!!

Thanks

Just one last possibility before you get rid of it, have you (or can you even) tried disabling Crossfire and only running the equivalent of 1 4870. I'm sorry if that is impossible, I am not really familiar with the X2 cards.

Also, are these stock clouds or did they come in a mod.

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Hi EXT64, tried disabling 1 gpu, no luck with that. Tried different drivers also. From research its definately an ATI issue. Its a problem with both FSX and REX clouds. Ah well, going to get a Nvidia card, maybe the 9800gtx+, dont want to spend too much on another card.

Thanks

e_dewson

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
all you need to do is disable the anti-ailasing in the graphics setting and you'l notice a huge boost in frame rates.