4870X2 drivers automatically roll back?

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
It seems kind of random, it's not always upon reboot, but my ATI display drivers move back to 8.63.... from 8.65. And Catalyst reverts to 9.7 from 9.9. Why is this happening?

System specs:

Core i7 920 @ 3.2 GHz
6 GB OCZ Platinum Triple Channel DDR3 1600 MHz
Intel DX58SO Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
WD Caviar Black 640 GB

Oh, I forgot that I just added them to my signature. OH well, there they are again, lol.

Solution
A dying MB battery will reset the BIOS on boot and make a bunch of racket (beeps). This sounds like a software conflict/issue. I'd suggest fully uninstalling the drivers and then try 9.10 if they come out tomorrow. Or try 9.8, that is what I use (and it works).

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
CCC 9.9 is a mess, there's so much bugs that I don't know where to start, 9.10 is released tomorrow so why don't you wait 1 more day to get it and see if it fixes that problem of yours.

A dying MB battery will reset the BIOS on boot and make a bunch of racket (beeps). This sounds like a software conflict/issue. I'd suggest fully uninstalling the drivers and then try 9.10 if they come out tomorrow. Or try 9.8, that is what I use (and it works).

Solution
They are pretty cheap, but I'd be surprised if your is dead already. No harm in trying of course. Just for reference, I just had the battery die in my 5 year old computer, and that was with it being unplugged for long periods of time.