48C max safe for a hard drive?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Mike2012 here. I have a case where I have two hard drives. They sit pretty close to eachother in the case. Idle I'll see temps around 44c on both of them. During load the max I've seen is 48c. Is it okay to run the drives at that temperature for extended periods?

Once I'm done gaming, they'll usually drop back to 44c. Is there any way other than physically moving the drives that I can reduce the temps?

Solution
It is safe to use at this temperature. But not at 60° or more.

To get better temps you can use a System Case fan and mount over HDD at 1 Inch distance. And
HDD must be in Vertical position to get better temps.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Thanks. So as long they don't reach 60c I'm good?

In my Phantek case I actually added another fan below the PSU shroud for some extra airflow across the HDs. I have two HDs right next to each other, as they have to be mounted that way, and being both WD black drives, they run a little warm. I moved the front fan down as low as I could to direct some air down there:

7700k1.jpg

Then on top of that I added another 80mm fan on the other side of the HD cage to help pull air across them.

7700k6.jpg

PSU shrouds help hide things, but they do also tend to create dead spots, especially when you are forced to cram things down there.