Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Hello,

Currently I'm running:
i7 4930K (4,1GHz @ 1.2V)
ASUS P9X79 MOBO
8GB (2X4) DDR3 @ 2133MHz XPG
H105 AIO WC

I'm considering selling this combo, and buying an octa-core from AMD instead. The R7 2700 really caught my eye.

Reason why I'm thinking of this jump is:
Lower TDP
Lower temps
Higher IPC (both single + multi core than Ivy-Bridge E)
DDR4 3200MHz over my 2133MHz (seeing as Ryzen benefits from faster RAM. Some games like higher RAM frequencies too)
Air cooler over a liquid cooler for less noise

I’m thinking of going with the Ryzen 7 2700 because it’s an 8C/16T chip. 4930K / R5 3600 both are 6C/12T. I think the extra cores/threads will make the CPU stay relevant for a longer time and that will make the upgrade more significant.

So, what do you guys think? Are these valid reasons to go from an Intel Hexacore to an AMD octacore, or should I just keep my 4930k?

Solution
Unless you're actually doing stuff that will utilize all cores/threads most of the time, then it's not a very meaningful upgrade to the R7 2700. Also since you mentioned noise; and that means no OC, depending on how sensitive your ears are. Without that, the 3600 will not only beat it out in not-productivity scenarios such as gaming and the like, but be pretty close in all-core performance as well.

Personally I'd wait, save up a little more, and set sights on upgraders to start dumping their used 3700x (at a not practically scam price). Best of both worlds.

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Unless you're actually doing stuff that will utilize all cores/threads most of the time, then it's not a very meaningful upgrade to the R7 2700. Also since you mentioned noise; and that means no OC, depending on how sensitive your ears are. Without that, the 3600 will not only beat it out in not-productivity scenarios such as gaming and the like, but be pretty close in all-core performance as well.

Personally I'd wait, save up a little more, and set sights on upgraders to start dumping their used 3700x (at a not practically scam price). Best of both worlds.

Solution
You may need to make an adjustment in your AiO settings. The pump should always run on high/performance and the fans can probably always remain below 50-60%. You'll need to run some tests to be sure, of course, but your cooler should be quiet. Use Corsair Link to make settings adjustments.
I agree that it's not the best upgrade. I wouldn't do it.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
So, what do you guys think? Are these valid reasons to go from an Intel Hexacore to an AMD octacore, or should I just keep my 4930k?

If you keep your X79 setup, I'd figure out a way to run it in quad channel whether it be to buy two more 4GB sticks (and hope it works in quad channel) or sell your ram and buy a proper quad channel kit.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello,

Currently I'm running:
i7 4930K (4,1GHz @ 1.2V)
ASUS P9X79 MOBO
8GB (2X4) DDR3 @ 2133MHz XPG
H105 AIO WC

I'm considering selling this combo, and buying an octa-core from AMD instead. The R7 2700 really caught my eye.

Reason why I'm thinking of this jump is:
Lower TDP
Lower temps
Higher IPC (both single + multi core than Ivy-Bridge E)
DDR4 3200MHz over my 2133MHz (seeing as Ryzen benefits from faster RAM. Some games like higher RAM frequencies too)

I’m thinking of going with the Ryzen 7 2700 because it’s an 8C/16T chip. 4930K / R5 3600 both are 6C/12T. I think the extra cores/threads will make the CPU stay relevant for a longer time and that will make the upgrade more significant.

If your PC still gives you the performance you need then their no reason to upgrade.
I don't think I would upgrade old hardware for newer but still old hardware.

Don't upgrade to a Ryzen 7 2700, because it would just be a sidegrade with your i7 being as fast or faster per core/thread with the overclock. The Ryzen 5 3600 would likely be only around 5-10% faster than your i7 overclocked.

Either wait for Ryzen 5000 to release in November to see the benchmarks or wait even longer for Intel Rocket Lake to release early next year.