4930K What should I upgrade to

kahndale

Honorable
May 16, 2012
I currently have an Intel i7 - 4930k with 32 GB of DDR PC 2400 EVGA Memory, Dual samsung 850 Pro 256 Gb SSD's, on an ASUS X79 Sabertooth Motherboard, PSU is an EVGA G2 SuperNova 850 80+ Gold, My video card is Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 8Gb.

What is the next step, I play alot of games, but I run a small Noc/SoC out of my home. So multitasking can have 15 to 20 windows open at once so the 4930k has gotten its use. Whats next? I guess I want to know is what is going to be my next jump? Not much is slowing this machine down, but I said that about my QX9650 too lol. Guide me here, Im a fan of good products, I'm not a fan boy, but Intel has been consistent while AMD has not. I have an RX 480 8 GB and it works fine at the moment.

Help me spend money lol....

Solution
Certainly not. DDR4 does offer any giant leap in performance nor do the newer CPUs.

The difference between 1600MHz and 3200MHz memory could be 10% at best and none at worst.

Indeed, there are newer CPUs but you are not going to see any substantial gains in performance unless you are running synthetics.

If I had a similar system, the only upgrade I would consider is a GPU. 32GB of RAM is plenty and the processor can easily pump out 120+ fps in most games.

If you use this system only for gaming, in my opinion, there is nothing to upgrade, except the GPU.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I honestly don't think you're going to run into any problems, unless you're maxing out details on the latest games or trying to run over 1080p. If you're doing that, then maybe a video card upgrade will be a consideration.

You've got a generous amount of RAM, and in i7 processor. You should be good to go for a while.

The X79 is slower than 1151 based platforms in gaming but not significantly so... gamers went to X79 / X99 usually only when using 3 or more GFX cards. because of your other needs however, X79 seems to be the best choice.

The RX 480 is slower than the the 1060, so the GFX card would be the 1st target for an upgrade.... I'd wait for the AIB 1080 Tis to drop, if budget allows, grab one of those ... if not, then the 1070 / 1080 will drop in price.

surya13

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
If you have liquid cooling, try pushing your 4930k to 4.2 to 4.5 GHz.

Then as others have said above, consider upgrading your GPU. Especially GTX 1080Ti will do good at 4K. If you could wait for a while, wait for AMD RX Vega to hit the shelves.

kahndale

Honorable
May 16, 2012

I currently have no real issues just want to sell it with meat on the bone. I used to have 2 x 970 ftw evga cards in it. One I purchased and the other was a trade in. One card burnt out a year later when my water leaked on one of them. I am currently running at 4.7GHz oc Water with a 1.4 vcore everything is really close to a 1 to 1 ratio. Mosfets get warm once in a while but only under heavy load for hours. I just have the cash and want to know if i should jump because of ddr4 or just hold off a few more cpu skews.

surya13

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Certainly not. DDR4 does offer any giant leap in performance nor do the newer CPUs.

The difference between 1600MHz and 3200MHz memory could be 10% at best and none at worst.

Indeed, there are newer CPUs but you are not going to see any substantial gains in performance unless you are running synthetics.

If I had a similar system, the only upgrade I would consider is a GPU. 32GB of RAM is plenty and the processor can easily pump out 120+ fps in most games.

If you use this system only for gaming, in my opinion, there is nothing to upgrade, except the GPU.

Solution