4coredual with 4gb of ram. Is it possible?

lordcris

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Hello,
I've recently purchased a 4coredual-sata2 mb.
User manual says it supports up to 2gb of DDR2 ram.
Could I put 2 dimms of 2gb making it 4?
thanks

lordcris

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
hi randomizer,
google-ing around i find this configuration in a forum:

E6600 @ 2.7ghz
Asrock 4coredual-vsta
ATI X1950Pro
2x2GB Corsair Dominator pc6400
500Gb hdd
250Gb hdd
Samsung 226BW 22" TFT
---------------------------------------

do you think this is possible?

Mondoman

Splendid
Manuals often have incorrect info in them. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try installing 2x2GB, but realize that because of the 32-bit Windows and hardware limitations, likely only about 3GB of the 4GB will be usable in Windows.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Is your Ram and Mobo dual channel? If not then it is not possible. Usually the mobo specs will say 2gig with 32bit os or 4gig in 64 bit os. If it only says 2 then it is only capable of 2. If you can run four windows wont recognize more the 3 unless you are using a 64 bit OS.

Mondoman

Splendid

Dual channel has no bearing on being able to use 2x2GB of RAM.

Maybe, maybe not. If it says 2, it should work with at least 2, but many MBs that could use more were listed as 2 because they hadn't been tested with 2GB DIMMs or for other similar reasons.

You also need a chipset that can handle at least 8GB RAM (not just 4), and a BIOS with a "memory remapping" feature.

Mazingerz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Hi,

I have my 4coredual-sata2 working with 4GB of RAM. I am using 2x2GB of "Super Talent" DDR2 800. Initially it was only able to boot with one DIMM populated (single channel) until I changed two parameters in the BIOS:
- DRAM frequency = DDR2 667
- DRAM voltage = Low

I use an E2180 @2.8G (FSB=280MHz). Maybe it can go higher but I am not sure yet and I am quite happy with the current settings (I only tried 3GHz and it failed)

I've been running Prime95 and so far so good ...

Cheers!

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006

Can you post a screen shots of that with CPU-Z or something? Might have to try that out with my 4coredual-vsta in the off chance it would work or half work I tried a 1gb dimm in a 512mb dimm slot almost ten years ago and it worked, but only for half of the ram density. It future proofed the next built somewhat though and after that I ended up selling it on ebay for more than I originally bought it for since SDRAM was being phased out and prices shot through the room as result of it so it worked out nice for me.

dyawlak

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

I know this post is old. But I've put 2x2Gb in. Bios only sees 3Gb. Windows 7 64Bit sees 4Gb but says only 3Gb usable.

Any ideas?

Thanks

n1netyn1ne

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Intresting topic, as I own this motherboard and found myself here a few months ago reading the previous posts...
And have to say it is very possible for 2GB Modules to be installed in this mobo.

I have already wrote a brief article which Includes Pictures of the BIOS screen and while in Windows using CPUZ as proof this works...
http://dbl-team.com/forums/topic.php?id=13

I am very pleased from the results, and thank this forum topic for intriguing me... I hope this helps other owners of this mobo.