[SOLVED] 4G broadband cuts out when pinging servers on online game server browsers ?

acelinhearn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Hi,

I am having an issue with my EE 4G WiFi I use due to Fibre Optic not being in my area.

I play two games that use Server Browsers where the game will ping hundreds of servers and make a list for me to pick which one I want to join, only issue is that quite often it’ll cause my internet to crash and not work until I restart it, the games are Assetto Corsa Competizione and DCS World.

I stopped using the 4G Modem EE provided to me as it wasn’t great, I now use the Billion 4500NZ BiPAC Router which gives me much better download/upload speeds.

I did call EE about my issue and they suggested I have them install an external 4G antenna on my property which will cost me £100, but they aren’t sure if that’ll solve my issue or not. So I’m hoping if you guys could help me out on ways I could solve this or if the 4G external antenna would actually help me.

Thank you.

Solution
Exceeding bandwidth is the biggest problem that people don’t realize. That or thinking 5 ghz is better than 2.4 ghz... well... that or the signal. A signal by far the most important thing for wireless continue communications such as a phone call, gaming, and media. Then it’s bandwidth.

fiber internet is not important for gaming or some these so called “advanced” users.

the difference between my data and tests on fiber, cable, dsl, and the 4G network via cellphone... you are out of your mind of if you believe a lot of things people say about “wireless”.

what I’ve seen in the same exact location on all 4 networks... is literally pure ideal ping for latency.

... exceed the bandwidth on the entire network and say hi to 4000 milliseconds...
Does it only cut out if your run these ping scans or does it also cut out if you say download a large file ?

One thing it can be is your router which you replaced but it could be a restriction in the ISP network. A ping scan is actually one of the ways to do a denial of service attack. Each session requires NAT entries which uses memory. Most times for things like ping they expire pretty quickly but if you do them quick enough you can actually exceed the memory of any router.

A outdoor antenna may give you faster network rates and maybe slightly more stable latency but it all depends on why a ping scan is causing a disconnect.

acelinhearn

Reputable
Dec 20, 2017
Does it only cut out if your run these ping scans or does it also cut out if you say download a large file ?

One thing it can be is your router which you replaced but it could be a restriction in the ISP network. A ping scan is actually one of the ways to do a denial of service attack. Each session requires NAT entries which uses memory. Most times for things like ping they expire pretty quickly but if you do them quick enough you can actually exceed the memory of any router.

A outdoor antenna may give you faster network rates and maybe slightly more stable latency but it all depends on why a ping scan is causing a disconnect.

It only ever cuts out if I am doing these ping scans to find a server to join on these games. It roughly pings just over a thousand servers and then creates a list of them for me to join, but by the time it’s done the scan it has crashed my internet and I can’t join. I can download large files all day without any issue.

Is there anything you could suggest? I could go and try the original EE ROUTER, however it is pretty slow to do stuff on. With the Billion router I get around 50% faster download/upload speeds

100 pounds to install an exterior antenna is actually not a bad deal. I would install it regardless of whether or not it solves your issue, just to be sure you're getting the best speeds possible with the least amount of interference. If that's your only option for internet, then I would want to best possible signal.

While the installers are there, you could slip them a few extra bucks under the table to run a Coaxial cable as well. Then get a ladder and install a TV antenna after they leave.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Exceeding bandwidth is the biggest problem that people don’t realize. That or thinking 5 ghz is better than 2.4 ghz... well... that or the signal. A signal by far the most important thing for wireless continue communications such as a phone call, gaming, and media. Then it’s bandwidth.

fiber internet is not important for gaming or some these so called “advanced” users.

the difference between my data and tests on fiber, cable, dsl, and the 4G network via cellphone... you are out of your mind of if you believe a lot of things people say about “wireless”.

what I’ve seen in the same exact location on all 4 networks... is literally pure ideal ping for latency.

... exceed the bandwidth on the entire network and say hi to 4000 milliseconds of ping and ping time outs. That... or believing 5 ghz is better than 2.4... unless you don’t have 3-4 nodes physically seeing each other in a straight line.. then every object will cause problems on a 5 ghz frequency..

The average person in universe would only need or want is a consistent 5 mbps on a wireless network. No body needs a 1 gbps for one device.. like... you want consistency of a slower bandwidth plan on a broadband connection...

Fiber isn’t worth moving to a new location for. I’m still interested how a T1 line can compete with a fiber line or against starlink when it comes to latency..

without using the same exact server for years for latency tests, you never know what the improvements will ever feel like and the results are when you configure advanced networking settings.

1 gbps verse 512 kbps on a first person shooter... in the same location and the same network type, will not improve or stablize your ping. The entire thing is based on a consistency of a stable signal and stable bandwidth.. running speed tests on the network constantly will do nothing but delay the network more, and create a bandwidth train for people not realizing what is doing what..

4G networks provide more than sufficient bandwidth for gaming..

no sane person should ever believe 512 kilobits is beyond terrible

Solution