[SOLVED] 4g Broadband Ping Issues

Tasmainian

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi,

I live in a rural area and because of this copper cables was my only way of receiving broadband and I was right at the end of the exchange meaning I was only receiving about 3mbps. However, my ping was around 20 when playing online games.

I have since moved to a 4g unlimited plan with three. I get max bars on the control panel and around 50-60mbps down and 30-40 Mbps up. Which is incredible for my area. However, the issues are the ping is around 50-80.

The current router I have is a Huwai B311s and because of this it only has one SMA port. So I was wondering will an external antenna improves my ping even if it only has one SMA port and I am already receiving max bars.

Thanks in advance.

The one I was thinking of purchasing; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DVNJ941/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
Since you have strong signals it likely will not help. The ping time is partially due to the data encoding being used. Some types of LTE have more overhead....I used to know the details but I forgot. The latency could also be related to how the cell tower is connected to the internet. Many times a cell tower does not have a direct connection it will have a separate radio link back to some other central cell tower that does.

None of this you have any control over.

You are very lucky if you get consistent ping times. My experience with cell tower connections and playing games is when it is working good everything is great but you get massive lag spikes from time to time. Since it was mostly time of day I suspect lots of...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I live in a rural area and because of this copper cables was my only way of receiving broadband and I was right at the end of the exchange meaning I was only receiving about 3mbps. However, my ping was around 20 when playing online games.

I have since moved to a 4g unlimited plan with three. I get max bars on the control panel and around 50-60mbps down and 30-40 Mbps up. Which is incredible for my area. However, the issues are the ping is around 50-80.

The current router I have is a Huwai B311s and because of this it only has one SMA port. So I was wondering will an external antenna improves my ping even if it only has one SMA port and I am already receiving max bars.

Thanks in advance.

The one I was thinking of purchasing; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DVNJ941/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unlikely to change anything.

Since you have strong signals it likely will not help. The ping time is partially due to the data encoding being used. Some types of LTE have more overhead....I used to know the details but I forgot. The latency could also be related to how the cell tower is connected to the internet. Many times a cell tower does not have a direct connection it will have a separate radio link back to some other central cell tower that does.

You are very lucky if you get consistent ping times. My experience with cell tower connections and playing games is when it is working good everything is great but you get massive lag spikes from time to time. Since it was mostly time of day I suspect lots of people in cars driving by the cell tower I was using and jumping on and off causing the load to change. I could tell when people where going to work and coming home.

Solution

Tasmainian

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

You are very lucky if you get consistent ping times. My experience with cell tower connections and playing games is when it is working good everything is great but you get massive lag spikes from time to time. Since it was mostly time of day I suspect lots of people in cars driving by the cell tower I was using and jumping on and off causing the load to change. I could tell when people where going to work and coming home.

To be honest the speeds are very consistant at 50mbps and the same with the ping, I assumed with a external antenna and the correct positioning I would see significant increase as the antenna in the device is so small.