[SOLVED] 4G LTE Indoor Router Antenna

shaft2

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
Hello, i have a 4G Router in my home ( which is about 120 m2 ) but i'd like to Maximize the Router Performance so i was looking for Antennas that can be installed / Added to that Router so the questions here

So the question here is:-
is Omnidirectional 4G LTE Antenna with 2 DB will be better for Sending and Receiving data or Higher Gain will be better like 6 DB for example !!?

Thanks in Advance

Solution
They make antenna to improve the reception to a cell tower BUT you have to have a way to connect it to the router. The antenna you see on the router are likely wifi antenna and used inside your house to talk to your end devices.

Your router also has a second set of antenna that talk to the cell tower using a different radio chip. It depends on the router most are mounted inside the router where you can't see them. Now some routers have actual antenna that you can replace that talk to the cell tower and others have a place to connect these other antenna.

What you have to determine is does your router have a way to connect this other kind of antenna.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
360 feet? 2 dbi is excellent for short range. 6 dbi would be a different story. 5 dbi is has been good for I am using it for. This all depends what devices are compatible with the wireless networks. Depending on your tech tree, depends entirely on what you want and need. 4G is expensive. But in the end people don’t listen to me..

Reactions: Krotow
Which performance do you mean.

There are 2 different radio signals. The normal wifi between the router and your end devices and the mobile broadband. Most wifi issues are with the end devices. Adding big antenna to the router does not help if your end device has a low power transmitter and small antenna....like in many cell phones.

Most devices do not have antenna connections for the mobile broadband. It is very much in the grey area if you can even put antenna on. The rules in the USA say you can used them if the mobile broadband vendor authorizes it. Now even if they tell you its fine they will never give you the paper work you would need to keep the government happy.

One way you might be able to tell which type of antenna are on the device is look at the connectors. Wifi use RP-SMA. Mobile broadband antenan uses the standard SMA connectors. If it has those connectors the best antenna are yagi with 2 different antenna mounted in the same enclosure. LTE runs Mimo like wifi so you need 2 antenna to get the maximum speed.

shaft2

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
Which performance do you mean.

There are 2 different radio signals. The normal wifi between the router and your end devices and the mobile broadband. Most wifi issues are with the end devices. Adding big antenna to the router does not help if your end device has a low power transmitter and small antenna....like in many cell phones.

Most devices do not have antenna connections for the mobile broadband. It is very much in the grey area if you can even put antenna on. The rules in the USA say you can used them if the mobile broadband vendor authorizes it. Now even if they tell you its fine they will never give you the paper work you would need to keep the government happy.

One way you might be able to tell which type of antenna are on the device is look at the connectors. Wifi use RP-SMA. Mobile broadband antenan uses the standard SMA connectors. If it has those connectors the best antenna are yagi with 2 different antenna mounted in the same enclosure. LTE runs Mimo like wifi so you need 2 antenna to get the maximum speed.

The 4G LTE Router is connected to my PC via LAN ( Cat6 Cable ) but smtimes i find Internet getting Slow or connectivity issue because of Signal loss smtimes on my 4G Router so i thought i need a good Antenna to Strengthen Signal so as to prevent that, thats it ,, so what do u think !!?

and tbh when i connect my mobile phone with the Router i see only 2 Signals which cause bad Internet so getting a good antenna can make it better but i cant find which is the best to buy in terms of Gain

So the first thing to determine is if the router has external antenna connectors for the mobile broadband radios. You likely will need to read the manual to see what connectors are available and what they do.

If it does not then you likely can't add a antenna easily. There are some devices that have antenna connections of the main board of the router for LTE. You have to be very dedicated to the project if you even consider that method since they tend to not document the motherboards in routers.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
The 4G LTE Router is connected to my PC via LAN ( Cat6 Cable ) but smtimes i find Internet getting Slow or connectivity issue because of Signal loss smtimes on my 4G Router so i thought i need a good Antenna to Strengthen Signal so as to prevent that, thats it ,, so what do u think !!?

and tbh when i connect my mobile phone with the Router i see only 2 Signals which cause bad Internet so getting a good antenna can make it better but i cant find which is the best to buy in terms of Gain

The easy way, connect the lan port to a wireless router's wan port, and set up the router. Depending on range and since you are using it on your PC, and probably only want the modem/router gateway 4G unit to directly connected to the PC. However on a 4G network I can confirm it can get internet access in another state, which means it would use the towers, to transfer you all the way to a distant location. Then the remote location is the host of gain access to the internet. 4G provided me with 10 mbps and a struggling upload speeds of 25k kbps, and knowing wireless it will easily fluctuate. Downloads are fine, but uploads would struggle, even with a game that uses 4 kilobytes a second, and that's full signal. 5G at 3 out of 4 bars on iphone and the mbps could reach 40 to 50 mbps, and I ignroed the upload speeds, cause it never gave me a problem for what I was using it for and playing video games online. I've seen on a youtube video that, someone managed to use probably a 4G wireless router, with 4 antennas, probably 5 to 8 ebi range, but he still had a misunderstanding how devices worked by default settings, such a phones, computers, and game consoles. If you know what you are doing on software, then I'd try to cut the costs of internet and get DSL or Cable, since those are much easier to find. If you can get fiber, that's great, cause I've seen it way cheaper with the certain download speeds. Even a signal indicator on these devices can provide delayed information. You would need a program or app to observe it in real time, but in all honesty, if the 4G modem get's full signal, but your other devices aren't, chances are you may be using all the bandwidth on your network, leaving your other devices trying to get available scraps. 10 mbps is really what people want in the world of luxury internet. BUt people usually don't listen to me, but I can confirm I can operate 7 devices on 6 mbps, and if I had better hardware it'd probably be more. 2 videos in 480p, 1 in 720p, and 4 games. All with no issues with connectivity. It can be done, however on 4G location is purely the determining factor.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
So the first thing to determine is if the router has external antenna connectors for the mobile broadband radios. You likely will need to read the manual to see what connectors are available and what they do.

If it does not then you likely can't add a antenna easily. There are some devices that have antenna connections of the main board of the router for LTE. You have to be very dedicated to the project if you even consider that method since they tend to not document the motherboards in routers.
Are you using the antenna to get better reception from the tower or in your house?

Your explanation is still confusing.

So you are going

Celltower--------router----pc (connected via ethernet)

Where the connection between the cell tower and the router is "mobile broadband" and not wifi.

Or

You are going

Celltower-----router-----(connected via wifi-----pc

shaft2

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
Your explanation is still confusing.

So you are going

Celltower--------router----pc (connected via ethernet)

Where the connection between the cell tower and the router is "mobile broadband" and not wifi.

Or

You are going

Celltower-----router-----(connected via wifi-----pc

the first Scenario, Celltower--------router----pc (connected via ethernet), So i guess i got it so u mean that the Antenna wont Improve the Connection between Celltower and 4G Router since its not a Wifi Right !! it will only help in case i'd like better Wifi Coverage in House ..Right !!?

They make antenna to improve the reception to a cell tower BUT you have to have a way to connect it to the router. The antenna you see on the router are likely wifi antenna and used inside your house to talk to your end devices.

Your router also has a second set of antenna that talk to the cell tower using a different radio chip. It depends on the router most are mounted inside the router where you can't see them. Now some routers have actual antenna that you can replace that talk to the cell tower and others have a place to connect these other antenna.

What you have to determine is does your router have a way to connect this other kind of antenna.

Solution