[SOLVED] 4G Router with Ethernet

opasniciko

Reputable
Jan 19, 2019
I live in a bad area which has max speed of 8mbit/s download and 0.30mbit/s upload speeds. My friend came over and he has 4G internet on his phone. He tested speed and it came 50mbit/s download and 38mbit/s upload. I am able to get 4G internet for the same price I am paying for this slow speed. I am really considering this but problem is I will not get router from my ISP, but I will have to buy my own. So I was searching around and cheapest router that has ethernet ports and sim slot is around 100 euros, which for me is little expensive. When I was looking I stumbled upon on Asus RT-AC1200G which has USB port and it says for 4G conectivity. Would I be able to connect SIM card to that router with help of a USB dongle or should I aim for router with SIM slot?

Edit: TL-MR6400 is more expensive, but it has built in sim slot. Will it have better speed then RT-AC1200G+dongle

Solution
The list he provided is a list of USB modems I am pretty sure. Not sure where you found a mifi device on that list.

It is extremely hard to find a router that takes sim cards or runs mobile broadband directly. There are just too many carriers with too many radio frequencies in the world to build equipment. Look how hard it is to get a phone that can run on any provider. Routers that take sim directly do exist for particular providers but they tend to be expensive.

Your method is to buy a router like the asus you listed and then find a modem that will work on the ISP you plan to use. The ISP likely has a list of what they support. The key problem is finding a modem that is on the list of supported devices on both the ISP list...

kanewolf

Titan
Many Asus routers do support USB modems for cellular access. It is a very specific list of modems -- https://www.asus.com/event/networks_3G4G_support/

If you can use one of the listed modems, then you would get one of them and the SIM card would be in the modem.

opasniciko

Reputable
Jan 19, 2019
@kanewolf I probably asked my question wrong. I want a router with ethernet ports. List you gave me is list of Mi-Fi routers that you use to carry with yourself everywhere

The list he provided is a list of USB modems I am pretty sure. Not sure where you found a mifi device on that list.

It is extremely hard to find a router that takes sim cards or runs mobile broadband directly. There are just too many carriers with too many radio frequencies in the world to build equipment. Look how hard it is to get a phone that can run on any provider. Routers that take sim directly do exist for particular providers but they tend to be expensive.

Your method is to buy a router like the asus you listed and then find a modem that will work on the ISP you plan to use. The ISP likely has a list of what they support. The key problem is finding a modem that is on the list of supported devices on both the ISP list and the router list. Some ISP are real jerks and do not release the information necessary for the router manufactures. The problem is there is special stuff setup by the ISP. You have to be very careful the same exact hardware modem may only be supported on some ISP by the router.

You can also use routers that can load something like dd-wrt. DD-wrt has the largest list of supported modem/ISP.

The only easy way to be sure this works is to buy a router directly from the ISP you plan to use. This is part of the reason the ISP make this so hard to do yourself they want to make extra money.

I suspect you are going to have major issues trying to find a router and a modem that are under your price.

Solution