[SOLVED] 4GB GPU - Heat or high VRAM usage is bad for lifespan? (RDR2 texture quality question)

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I own a gtx 1050ti, playing games like rdr2, destiny 2, Witcher 3 and some age of empires 3. My question is, the gpu heat or high vram usage is bad in terms of lifespan of the hardware? including psu. The power supply draws more power to feed the gpu to run the game with chosen in game graphics settings yes? My GPU heat is around 48c-54c while playing rdr2, Texture Quality is the vital setting as far as I know, should I be reducing to Medium instead of Ultra, to reduce heat/vram and save power for psu? I also play in 50fps in rdr2, should I be reduce that too? I'm mostly thinking lifespan of my psu,

Thank you

Solution
Anything under 80C on a GPU or CPU is nothing to worry about. Most modern GPUs don't even turn their fans on at core temps below 55C.

I have a REALLY hard time believing you're playing RDR2/D2/Witcher 3 on ultra settings with a 1050Ti without those games being a slideshow.

GTX1050Ti draws 75W of power. If your PSU can't handle that and your ~65-120W of CPU power, you need a better PSU. Most decent PSUs come with 5-10 year warranties, if that's any indication of their expected lifespan.
Anything under 80C on a GPU or CPU is nothing to worry about. Most modern GPUs don't even turn their fans on at core temps below 55C.

I have a REALLY hard time believing you're playing RDR2/D2/Witcher 3 on ultra settings with a 1050Ti without those games being a slideshow.

GTX1050Ti draws 75W of power. If your PSU can't handle that and your ~65-120W of CPU power, you need a better PSU. Most decent PSUs come with 5-10 year warranties, if that's any indication of their expected lifespan.

Solution

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019

Sorry forgot to mention that clearly, not all in game settings are in Ultra, I only set the texture quality to Ultra and worried about a little for my psu draws more power which can cause more heat inside the psu and ultimately affect to the lifespan. But I put a home fan front of it now and funny fact that little desk fan doing a better job than my CPU's stock fan lol, that's nice, home fan also blows the heat outside of the psu at back exit so thats also good I think,

I usually play in low/medium settings mixed in 1600x900 or 720p depends on the game, but I think this little desk home fan did the trick, amazingly nice as far as I see,