4GB or 6GB ram for Windows 7 32bit

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Hello,

I am building a new computer and I was looking at DDR 3 ram 1600. I noticed alot of the choices is for 6Gb (3 x 2gb) sticks.

My questions are,

What is the max amount of memory win 7 32bit can run?
On a 4 slot motherboard, would 4 gb dual channel setup be better than 6gb setup, (3 of 4 slots filled) for access time, or usage?
Does CAS latency really matter any more when comparing DDR 3 memory such as 7, 8, or 9?

Thanks

1) 32-bit operating systems will only be able to access 4GB of memory, and of that most applications will only be able to use 2GB.

2) With most motherboards you're better off for performance with an even number of DIMMs. But there are exceptions such as with the Core i7 - so check your motherboard manual.

3) I'm not an overclocker so I won't comment on your latency issue other than to say of all the variables in your system, memory timings are probably the ones that matter least for overall performance. Modern CPUs have very large caches which means they are much less reliant on memory speed than older systems.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006

The reason why I am getting windows 7 32 bit is because I am building a gaming computer and I have a lot of old games I still like to play and I don't want to deal with driver issues and on any of my adobe programs, etc.

A 32 bit OS of any kind can use at most 4gb.

With a 64 bit OS, the more ram the better. It will use extra ram to cache the stuff you use the most. The 4 slot motherboards may actually run the 3 of 4 slots in triple channel mode.

The cas latency has a minor effect on real application performance. Perhaps 1-3%. Actually, ram speed does not matter much either(same 1-3%), unless you are going for record overclocks. If DDR3-1333 ram was significantly cheaper than 1600, it would be OK.

Do plan on using Windows-7 64 bit.
Download and run the windows-7 upgrade advisor to check for any incompatibilities:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en
The only programs that will not run are 16 bit dos based.

seerwan

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
btw, remember that a 32-bit OS can only recognize 4 GB, but u take about 0.5 GB for address space, and 0.5 - 1 GB for a graphics card (asuming u have a 512 - 1 GB dedicated card), u r left with = 4 - 0.5 - 0.5 = 3 GB OR = 4 - 0.5 - 1 = 2.5 GB.

if u insist on using a 32 bit version, just use 3 GB.

also, i know u want to play old games, but new ones arent bad... u could install a 64 bit OS and install more ram and legally buy new games and play or illegally download them from the internet...

You need to do some more research, as you have a few wrong ideas about running a 64 bit OS.
While you MIGHT have some problems with very old games, it will not be because the OS is 64 bit.
If a game will not run on Windows 7 64 bit, it very likely won't run on Windows 7 32 bit either. It will be a Windows issue,
but not for the reasons you are thinking.
"Programs" written for 32 bit code will run perfectly fine on a 64 bit OS.
The problem you might have is with certain older hardware and drivers, but.....
Driver issues will NOT be a problem if you are building a new computer, using new hardware.
Anything "Adobe" will work perfectly fine on a 64 bit OS.
Adobe's programs, like most design and graphic programs, have been running on 64 bit OS's for a over a decade.
Today, if you are going to spend money on a new OS, you would be foolish not to buy 64 bit.
If you use Adobe products, I would think that breaking the 4 gig memory barrier of a 32 bit OS would be a desired benefit.
Remember, it's not application programs that have a problem with 64 bit, it is hardware their drivers that were written for
32 bit that have a problem with a 64 bit OS. And, as I said, if unless you are going to be using some very dated hardware,
you don't have to worry about that either. Probably the worst thing people have problems with is peripherials, like old printers,
scanners, etc. These are the kind of things you have to look at, if you have them, and see if there are 64 bit drivers available.
To that end, if there are Windows 7 32 bit drivers available, they will have Windows 7 64 bit drivers available as well.
So take a good long study before you buy Windows 7 32 bit instead of 64.

And yes, latencies are important. More important than most of the time than bus speed.
You will notice a speed difference more in memory latencies of say....9 to 7, than you will a bus speed difference of say...1333 to 1600.

mikrev007

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008

It is funny then that by installing superspeed's ramdisk (just one example) you will be able to use ram above 4G for your ram-drive.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OP, the retail outlet where I pre-ordered Win7 says specifically that the package will include BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. So you can install whichever you choose when you get it.

Mikrev007, it appears that in the most advanced version, Superspeed Plus 10, they are using special memory management software outside of 32-bit Windows to access the address space above 4 GB.

Why in the world would you want to install software that will enable your system to use memory above 4 gig as a ramdrive, when you can simply install an OS that eliminates all the problems right off. It's like putting a bandage on a broken leg.

mikrev007

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
jitpublisher, I am enlightening people on what is possible.

And don't forget that this is an it forum where people come to learn how stuff works. And that statement about 4GB being the mathematical limitation of 32bit OSes is still false.

kc13777196

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I have windows 7 Home premium 64 Bit And Have NO problems Running Older Games Like Diablo 2 Or Warcraft 3.
This is on a sub $400 Wal-mart HP Laptop. So My Question is how old of a Game Are You Running?

64-bit gaming

EVERY game I have works on Windows 7 x64 (90 games).

Unless you have an expensive piece of hardware which has support for Windows 7 32-bit and NOT 64-bit then 64-bit is what people should buy.

Recommended setup:
- Windows 7 Premium x64 OEM
- 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

Other:
- 60GB SSD (like the latest OCZ for $175)
- 1TB WD hard drive (split into two partitions. Partition #1 for installing games instead of buying a larger SSD. Partition #2 for backups, downloads and multimedia etc.)
- *Make an Image of your Windows drive (C-Drive) after it has been Activated for easy Restore (OEM Windows has a limited number of re-installs; Restoring a backup Image of an Activated Windows installation will not count as reinstalling)

**A 60GB SSD should be plenty of space for almost anybody if you use a secondary hard drive as indicated above. I have a WD Velociraptor which was my primary and now is my E-drive. I have all my games there. I even COPIED my entire Steam games folder (instructions at Steam Forums) so I didn't have to re-download.

I absolutely LOVE my OCZ Vertex 2.
(I went RAID0 with 60GBx2. I now wish I'd purchased just one because:
a) 60GB was enough for Windows 7 (not Vista)
b) currently no TRIM support for RAID0
c) It's so fast it would be hard to tell the difference between RAID0 and one fast SSD. In fact, the visual effect of programs opening takes longer than the read time for most programs and Windows.
d) The only time I really wait is opening games or game levels. Those are on my hard drive anyway (and most open in 20 seconds).

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
If you want to use greater than 4gb ram then you have to use 64bit os. Any kind of 32bit os can access max 3gb ram. Why are you using 32bit os? for playing older games? then i want to know how older is that game? if the game is 32bit then also it will work fine in a 64bit os, only 16bit softwares will not work in a 32bit win7. 64bit os is quite faster then 32bit also.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I can't help it, you guys are going to laugh your butts off...

The reason I won't upgrade from XP 32-bit, is because I'm afraid I won't be able to play Wishbringer anymore!!!

webaware

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Have everyone forgot that to be able to use DDR3 memory in 3x1/2/4GB combination you have to use a motherboard wit X58 chipset and 1366 pin CPU

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Subaru,
Which version of Windows 7 are you considering? If you get Pro or better, the Windows XP mode that comes on the 64 bit version is 32 bit. Maybe run your games on that if they don't like the 64 bit version of Windows 7. And, as Paperdoc said, your Windows 7 disc will have both versions (32 and 64 bit versions), so if you install the 64 first and run into too many problems, reinstall 32.

I have heard anecdotal stories of Photoshop, Corel Draw, etc. having problems with 64 bit version of Windows...
http://www.sevenforums.com/software/10261-photoshop-64bit-wont-run-32bit-fine.html
I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 and have had problems with PSE7, though I don't know for sure if it's Windows 64 that's the problem. I also have an older Epson scanner that currently has no 64 bit Windows 7 drivers. It's a great scanner and I don't want to spend good money to replace it, but may have to if I want to use it on Windows 7/64. Maybe I'll try it in XP mode ;-).

All that being said, seems like the way to go is 64 bit. The memory issue is probably worth the tradeoff for a compatibility problem that can be worked around to some extent, and will fade into oblivion as more developers write for 64 bit.

This is an very old thread -> 07-30-2009

Anyone reading it get 64-bit OS, but not XP 64-bit. Also 'now' RAM is cheap and 4GB sticks are recommended {budget allowing} and becoming the new standard: 3x4GB, 2x4GB, and LGA 2011 4x4GB.

RAM vs GPU performance article -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-8.html

Bottom-line, more is better and as bloatware is getting bigger, lazy programmers, you might just need it. ;)

Gotka

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I have 4 gb ram memory, 521 grapich card , 3.1 ghz duo core , 320 hard disc .... ... I wanted to ask what is best for my computer windows 7 ultymate 32 bit or 64? for games of course?

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Not completely true. Some (not all) motherboards allow the use of 3 DIMMs in a 4 DIMM-socket motherboard. It's a bad idea, though, because access to RAM will be slowed down by having the "half-bank" of RAM.

The OP may not have realised that the 6GB kits are intended for 1366 motherboards. Much better off buying 4GB (if persisting with 32 bit) or 8GB (if upgrading to 64 bit).

In answer to the question about how much RAM is supported: running under 64 bit, Windows 7 Home is limited to 16GB, while Windows 7 Pro and above can handle up to 192GB. Kinda moot, though, given that a typical motherboard with 4 DIMM sockets, limited to 4GB DIMMs, can't hold more than 16GB :) Still, 8GB DIMMs are coming...

I'll join the chorus encouraging the OP to move to 64 bit Windows 7.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
mmm a thread posted 2 years ago, interesting.

I'm just going to put this out here, i could be wrong concerning older games but,,, if an old game has an 8bit installer (like the original avp has) will it install on a 64bit os? im sure i had problems with that.

No, programs with 16 bit code will not run natively under 64 bit operating system.
You can upgrade to the 2 high end win 7 versions and run win xp in virtual mode, or install winBox.

I can run Basic prof using a "DosBox" on Win 7 64 bit.