[SOLVED] 4gb vs 8gb Cards for Video Editing?

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
I'm looking at different cards for my new system and have a question:
The Nvidia 1650 super and the Amd rx 580 are similarly priced and the 1650s rated as a somewhat better card. However the 1650s is 4gb but the rx 580 is 8gb.
What bearing would this have on video editing? I've heard the higher vram the better but not sure what it all means.
I would get a better card like a 2060 super 8gb but it's very expensive so I'll go with a cheaper card and maybe upgrade in the future if needs be.
Thanks!

Solution
6 gb vs 8 gb, and 1650 S vs 8gb-gpu afterwards. Hm?
Well, anyway, the common rule in video editing is the more vram, the better for such things - this is what Nvidia's Titans are made for, while also often having big bandwith and bus width, but their price is high. If your software 'd take no more than 4 GB VRAM, then the 1650 Super is a better idea.
A 1660 6 GB actually maybe is a better idea than both as it usually can be found for a little more money, but if the software needs more than 6 GB, it may be problematic.
Cheap 1070 Ti or 1070 used sounds somewhat better than these options, regardless of the type of usage.
2060 Super is stronger, but if you get something like 1070 Ti/1070 you could afterwards just wait till getting money...
6 gb vs 8 gb, and 1650 S vs 8gb-gpu afterwards. Hm?
Well, anyway, the common rule in video editing is the more vram, the better for such things - this is what Nvidia's Titans are made for, while also often having big bandwith and bus width, but their price is high. If your software 'd take no more than 4 GB VRAM, then the 1650 Super is a better idea.
A 1660 6 GB actually maybe is a better idea than both as it usually can be found for a little more money, but if the software needs more than 6 GB, it may be problematic.
Cheap 1070 Ti or 1070 used sounds somewhat better than these options, regardless of the type of usage.
2060 Super is stronger, but if you get something like 1070 Ti/1070 you could afterwards just wait till getting money for a Titan or s.th. from Gen. 30 Nvidia.

Solution