4gigs versus 8gigs using vista 64 - high end gaming pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006

43% USED means the other 57% is sitting there doing nothing, basicly wasted.. this is one thing i like about vista, it tries to use all available ram for Something.

XP 32-bit. 4gb of ram. I have games that take well over 3+gb of memory. By default 2gb is the typical limit for programs/games, extra memory is being used for textures, etc. There was a good article about the 2gb wall in a review of Supreme Commander on this site about the memory thing. Good read for those who want to learn.
Obviously the future programs/games will start to access much more memory on the system, it's just a matter of time.

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I like having 8G in my system, but then again my next upgrade will prob be when DDR4 is readily available.

Oh and typically between 25 and 53% usage, but I'm still organizing my folders.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

It isn't supply and demand per say. DDR2 costs far less to make than DDR because of density increases.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
This has been tested by THG already...

HUGE BENEFIT USING 8GB SYSTEM THE ANSWER IS NO

2-4GB system is already enough. 8GB benefits performance huge in small windows appz only and not so heavy games. But on latest games performance gains is almost negligible. THG suggested you rather buy a fast HDD where you can see Huge speed improvement and Fast GPU.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
nothing. optimum i say is 3GB. not even 4. with 32bit. n even if it is 64bit. windows automatically limits the application for only 2G or ram per application. so unless u playing 3 games at ONE TIME. 8 GB wont do ****. lol

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
no program currently out will allocate more than 3GB memory at a time

8GB wont do much good unless you run multiple professional memory hungry programs at the same time

sailer

Splendid

That would be me. During the week, I usually have a number of programs working at the same time. I end up with the computer getting bogged down because its running VM off the hard disk, or worse, an out of memory error on my XP machine. That was why I got XP64 a year ago for one of my machines, so I could run more ram.

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007

I've seen Crysis take around 1.5GB on my computer with Vista 64. That was on low/medium. 4GB is still alot, but the 8GB will make sure there will be no latency when changing between programs.