Discussion 4K @ 100fps+

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
That is what what I am aiming for next pc upgrade... just checked that with my current RX Vega 64 coming from a HD 7950 it took 5 years to reach a capable upgrade performance hardware for the right amount of $ in my local store.

My HD 7950 is capable of 13.9fps in 4K and my RX Vega is capable of 43.6fps in 4K, all in Ultra quality... So obviously I am still playing @ 1080p which as a matter of a fact is still quite new to me coming from 720p which was playable @ over a 100fps then, but looking at how things stand now a 6900 XT is seemingly already capable of over a 100fps in 4K on ultra quality, but of course the cost of such hardware for gaming today would not do an upgrade today much justice, and one would not feel like you have actually scored an upgrade, by my calculations two more years from now would be the best time to do an upgrade and start enjoying 4K @ 100fps+ on ultra setting in the popular games.

It’s not something I would like to predict. However I expect displays that are capable of running 4K @ =>100Hz are going to remain a premium product for several years. As soon as you are into the premium end of technology there is a premium price and requirements attached. Why sell a mid range gpu that can make use of a premium 4K display at ultra settings, it would diminish the reason for people to buy the higher tier GPU’s.

Have you considered 1440p? What size monitor are you considering?

Top tier GPUs can push 4k at "acceptable" framerates (>45); even my 1080 Ti can kinda do it if I turn settings down a bit, and the 3080/3090 can get around 60ish in most titles. Getting 100+ is still likely a few GPU generations away though.

For now, 1440p remains the sweet spot, and with recent upscaling technologies (DLSS) it likely to remain the dominant resolution going forward.

Reactions: Bassman999
For future planning of 4k, think big.
Text on a 4k monitor can be tiny.
Plan on a larger, more immersive 4k monitor.
Today, 40" at 60hz is reasonable.
I am now using a 48" LG OLED TV using hdmi 2.1@120hz using a 3070.
A previous GTX1080ti did ok but was limited to 60hz because of hdmi 1.4.

A good monitor is a long term purchase; pay what you need to to get a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMorris666

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Have you considered 1440p? What size monitor are you considering?

Luckily I have a 144Hz 1080p monitor already and its capable of 4K @ 120Hz... so for me at least I am all set when it comes time to upgrade the GPU. (I'm definitely just going to skip 1440p and moving strait up to 4K @ 120hz next upgrade, need to go heavy on the saving that $ thou, for that to happen).

Top tier GPUs can push 4k at "acceptable" framerates (>45); even my 1080 Ti can kinda do it if I turn settings down a bit, and the 3080/3090 can get around 60ish in most titles. Getting 100+ is still likely a few GPU generations away though.

For now, 1440p remains the sweet spot, and with recent upscaling technologies (DLSS) it likely to remain the dominant resolution going forward.

That's a good thing in my opinion, 1080p is my sweet spot now, and some games are already playable @ 4K with high settings: like F1 2020 for example. (Real smooth 4K performance)

I fell for you. I certainly wouldn't want to be in a position where I had to buy a new GPU. They are all insane prices.

As we are looking at this price problem, I'm glad I don't want to upgrade now, hoping things will look more worth upgrading in a few years time. (in the mean time lets save that $'s for an up coming upgrade)

For future planning of 4k, think big.
Text on a 4k monitor can be tiny.

A good monitor is a long term purchase; pay what you need to to get a good one.

Yes, that's is so true, I had tested RDR2 on my monitor @ 4K with the same quality setting as I use with 1080p but in my opinion I cant be bothered to play with 43fps, rather stick it out in the sweet spot range of 70~100+ fps @ 144Hz 1080p. ( games do scale the text so that it remains readable even if higher resolutions are applied, good and well programmed games for that matter at least do it already as I am surely a witness, hoping it will be implemented in games in the future too).

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
But if you really go and think what is going on with the Games and GPU's currently, we are seeing things like games such as Cyberpunk 2077 with the Ultra setting applied (that is a great game by the way) but makes everyone playing it feel like his/her current GPU and pc setup isn't all that great( for me I went down from a 70~100fps @ 1080p average amongst most of the games available to a 30~70fps @ 1080p in CP) when compared to other games running much higher fps at the same setting and resolution, don't really want to say what I think of that, but it does get one thinking of upgrading at improper times just to experience one game more optimally and won't do much getting to the next tier in the resolution field when all worthy games are installed and at the ready to be played.

Just one of the thoughts I had when experiencing this fact.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Last night I turned on GTA V, tweaked with the Detail settings a bit and found something that gave me 4K @ 100 fps- really played smooth until I ran the benchmark test in said game then all of a sudden the fps when returning to normal single player gameplay dropped by half.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I Got GTA iV Complete Edition running nicely @ 4K 120Hz... doesn't quite make 100fps most of the time on my hardware but for the most part it's really high fps and smooth gameplay...

Real joy playing @ 4K this game is and I would recommend doing the same to experience this master piece of a game like this if you have capable hardware.

And if you can activate on the Rockstar launcher, if you got a physical copy still lying about, you get to play all the accomplishments again.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Just managed to setup and tune my GTA V PC Version with specified settings and 4K resolution @ 120Hz.... so far so good, it's not 100fps+ but 50~90fps.
All this is becoming possible on my AMD ROG RX Vega 64 + Windows 11...Latest stable AMD Driver.
Previously when I tried this on my hardware, only managed to make 43fps.

Last edited: