[SOLVED] 4k @120Hz on a GTX 1080TI

Nachmanowicz

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I live in Brazil, GPUs are crazyyyyyyy expensive here. I bought a GTX 1080ti like in October. Then I bought last month a LG Oled C1. For comparison, the TV cost me R$5500, the GTX 1080TI cost me R$4500. So yeah, gpus are expensive.
Then I realized I couldnt run it @120Hz 4k cause no HDMI 2.1, yada yada. I rly don't wanna upgrade GPU again, especially because my whole rig is kinda outdated. Its a generation 5 i7.

I read I could actually run it @120Hz if I downgraded my colours (its setto 4:2:0). Which I did, and it worked, with a cheap chinese HDMI 2.1 cable I just bought, but kinda weird. When I was in the nvidia settings I couldn't get it up to 120Hz, the most Hz I could set it on the nVidia Control Panel was 60Hz. But then I set it to 120Hz on the Windows display settings. There I could actually select all the way to 120Hz. Have I done something wrong? What happens if I go this route with the full RGB colors? Can I damage something? Is 4:2:2 doable?
Thanks!

Solution
If gsync is possible it should be optional in 3d settings. I wasn't sure if gsync would be available but apparently is. If not, there's possible work around mimicking similar, to give that smoother effect, with frame rate limiter + vsync. Im not familiar with hdr, never ventured it, so no idea.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Won't damage anything running in that colour format. If it works, it works.

I have same tv but with 3060ti. 4k 120Hz is only available under pc resolution section not the first set of resolutions under HD/Ultra HD/SD etc section in either Nvidia or monitor adapter in Windows.

Also this tv scales 1440p beautifully, something to try if want more performance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Another tip since gsync won't be an option, only an option with hdmi 2.1 starting with 3xxx series which you probably knew about, is use Nvidia's fps limiter set to 119 and enable vsync. Certain games capable of such fps should look smoother and input lag shouldn't be felt.

Nachmanowicz

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Another tip since gsync won't be an option, only an option with hdmi 2.1 starting with 3xxx series which you probably knew about, is use Nvidia's fps limiter set to 119 and enable vsync. Certain games capable of such fps should look smoother and input lag shouldn't be felt.
Wow, srsly???? thats so weird. I Dont think Ive ever even seen nvidia fps limiter. It's on 3D settings?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
yPavL37.png

I have gsync enabled and TV showed up as a Gsync compatible display. LG C1 and 2080ti. Not available at 2160p resolution, given the the limitations of HDMI 2.0.

Nachmanowicz

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Cool, ty! The problem tho is that I dont usually play on the TV, rather on a 1440p 144Hz monitor. My eyesight is bad, so for anything "competitive" I have to be glued to the screen, which rules out the TV.

To be honest I don't even understand exactly what HDR is and how to use it, let alone Gsync, lol.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If gsync is possible it should be optional in 3d settings. I wasn't sure if gsync would be available but apparently is. If not, there's possible work around mimicking similar, to give that smoother effect, with frame rate limiter + vsync. Im not familiar with hdr, never ventured it, so no idea.

Solution
Oh ok. I have no prior experience with gsync and older Nvidia cards using hdmi, just Displayport and only recently the C1 with 3060Ti (racing setup), as per hdmi 2.1 spec and gsync. Not sure what's going on there tbh.
I'm not sure why but it's working. TV menu shows VRR enabled and framerates fluctuating with gameplay. I set desktop resolution to 2560x1440p @ 120hz. Then set in game settings to match desktop resolution and refresh rate. Working VRR 1440p@120hz over HDMI 2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju

Nachmanowicz

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Ok, when I set it to 120Hz its all extremely smooth, but the colors are kinda weird and dark. Then I set it to 60Hz and it just looks..... kinda like <Mod Edit>. Like its choppy and slow. But not like you'd expect in 60Hz. Kinda worse? Like, a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
G sync is only available to a specific set of monitors. There is a listing of "true" G sync which actually have a chip inside that also introduces a lot more cost, and also a list of G sync compatible which are far less expensive. If you have a monitor which will do so, it is a sub setting in the Nvidia Control Panel. If you don't see it there, or greyed out, it isn't and won't.

As far as your question, a 1080ti will certainly play media on a monitor at that rate, but no way is it going to play high demand games at that frame rate at 4K. They are a legendary card and superb performance even to this day, but it isn't going to pull a miracle.

Something to keep in mind about V sync is that when it can't render frames at the setting desired, it goes to half that. So, if it skips a frame at 120, it is actually doing 60 anyway. V sync works really well in a situation where your GPU is capable of and not dipping below the desired setting.

Nachmanowicz

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Yeah, via HDMI the only way the image doesn't get choppy as hell is if I crank down the colors. Then I can get it even to run 120Hz but the image looks kinda <Mod Edit>. I tried running on the TVs app the 4k youtube trailer for the harry potter game and via my PC on HDMI and it is night and day. Stutters and frame skips, the lot. Maybe I bought a bad HDMI cable?

Last edited by a moderator: