4k 60hz monitor vs. 1080p 120hz monitor. Which is better? (Hypothetical Question)

LosSalvatierras

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
So right now I'm kinda planning to build a super high end PC and I thought about what monitor I would get and then I realized that 120hz 4k monitors don't really exist yet so it made me wonder about a few things:

1. Can a 4k 60hz monitor display 1080p 60+ FPS without screen tearing and such?
2. Would it be better to just play at 1080p instead of 4k to get better frames and a monitor with a higher refresh rate?
3. What connection would I need to use?

I'm a bit new to PC building and such so I need help on this. This is a hypothetical situation right now but soon it could be something I need to decide. Any other monitor purchasing tips are more than welcome.

Solution
I would go for a screen with high hz - i got my 144hz monitor, and it's so amazing to play games on...

But there's this monitor with 4k res for gaming - ACER XB280HK

And there's this high hz monitor - ACER XB270HU

But the price is also high :)

niko3688

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2015
I would go for a screen with high hz - i got my 144hz monitor, and it's so amazing to play games on...

But there's this monitor with 4k res for gaming - ACER XB280HK

And there's this high hz monitor - ACER XB270HU

But the price is also high :)

Solution

LosSalvatierras

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

See that's the thing, it's hypothetical but what I build will be based on the overall goal and I don't want to be limited by a monitor or anything like that. So I'm trying to figure out what would be the best goal to have.

To get good fps on a 4k monitor, at native resolution, you would need at least 2 GPUs and they'd cost at least $1200 or more. 4k will be the standard but it is in the early adoption phase where there isn't much content available but it is the latest and greatest. Gamers that need speed don't buy them. There are many better choices out there. I'm guessing 4k will take 2 years before people can really start buying them and making a dent in the market for gamers.

If you are willing to spend a lot on a tv/monitor and want for gaming. Then I suggest getting a 3440x1440p monitor. This one is fast and looks amazing:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm
Pair that monitor with a 980ti or 2x980 and you'll be wowed. Refresh rate and lag are great.

g1abhi

Expert
Ambassador
Jun 13, 2015

Well budget is a big factor , and 4k gaming should be considered only if you have a budget of around 3000$ for the rig.
these things will matter in increasing order of priority:-
1. refresh rate , lowest prioirty , since not all games suffer to the same extent from tearing and stutter issues ,usually the ones which are more fast paced.
2. Resolution , higher resolution is actually more appealing since it will mastter every single second your monitor is being used.
3. Screen size highest priority in synergy with appropriate resolution. Since a bigger screen is much better and immersive gaming experience than a smaller one at higher resolution.

Offtopic: I would hold my horses for Oculus rift and would be more inclined towards that instead of a gysnc monitor.

LosSalvatierras

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
So let's say that hypothetically, I do buy two 980 Ti's or a Titan X or something along with the 4k monitor. Let's say that I'm playing a game in 1080p on my 4k 60hz monitor. Would I have to limit the FPS to 60 to avoid screen tearing?

g1abhi

Expert
Ambassador
Jun 13, 2015
The fps you get on the monitor is automatically 60 , since it supports that only , with V sync on the GPU is being limited to producing 60 fps without the screen tearing. So yes you will have to limit it to avoid screen tearing.