4k at 60hz vs 30hz for reading online news

thedannyguy

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
hello peeps first post here. i have a philips 43" bdm4350uc 4K monitor. I am using it fro web browsing mainly reading online news. Am currently having a GPU, Zotac GT730 2gb ddr5, it can only support 30hz. If i upgrade to a graphic card that can support 60Hz, will i get a sharper text image for reading news? Thank you very much.

Solution
Some time ago, I tried an experiment where I bought a cheap second graphics card to use with my side monitor.
The intent was to remove resources from my main gaming adapter card and monitor.
Functionally that worked, but I saw no performance benefit compared to having the side monitor connected to the gaming gpu.
But... the big reason I abandoned that experiment was the poor image quality coming out of the cheap adapter card.
You may want to consider the merits of a newer gen and updated card.
Perhaps something like a GTX1050.

You also might find this review of your monitor interesting
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-bdm4350uc/

oczdude8

Distinguished

the refresh rate (30hz vs 60hz) has NOTHING to do with the sharpness of the image. The Sharpness is dictated by the resolution, which in your case is 4k.

Higher refresh rate helps with animated content, such as videos, and games. If you just read text, then it would almost not make any difference to you.

thedannyguy

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

ok but my 43" monitor 4k monitor doesnt look as sharp as my 24" 1080p monitor. so having a better gpu like gtx 1060 wont improve my text quality whatsoever? Thank you

The difference in image quality you see is purely based on the monitors themselves. Just like the previous user before me has stated it won't make any difference for something like text. Completely different story if you wanted to watch actual news/videos but for a static image it will depend on the monitor quality/capabilities.

Would you mind listing the models of your monitors, if you know them?

thedannyguy

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

philips 43" bdm4350uc, (IPS)
acer 24" k242hl, (TN)
aoc e2462vw, (TN)
21.5" dell s2240t (VA)

I suppose IPS monitor has higher quality.
Thank you

I have a Philips BDM4065UC which I think is very similar.
In order to get 60hz you will need a displayport connection which I do not think your Zotac has.
It makes a difference.
Initially, I had it set up to the default which was 30hz. Moving windows was not smooth.
Then, I found where to change the monitor(menu was Korean) to dp1.2 I think it was and all is great.
Are you certain you are running in 4k resolution?
Right click on the desktop and go to screen resolution.

You may want to opt for a stronger card with displayport output.

thedannyguy

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

I left my scaling at 100%. Because with windows 10, I subdivided my monitor into 4 separate Windows. 3 Windows to look at financial chart. One window to read bloomberg, cnbc, wsj news. The colors are okay but the texts are kinda blurry

Some time ago, I tried an experiment where I bought a cheap second graphics card to use with my side monitor.
The intent was to remove resources from my main gaming adapter card and monitor.
Functionally that worked, but I saw no performance benefit compared to having the side monitor connected to the gaming gpu.
But... the big reason I abandoned that experiment was the poor image quality coming out of the cheap adapter card.
You may want to consider the merits of a newer gen and updated card.
Perhaps something like a GTX1050.

You also might find this review of your monitor interesting
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-bdm4350uc/

Solution

thedannyguy

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

Ok thanks for the input. Will get a better graphic card then. TY.

thedannyguy

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

its already enabled.

thedannyguy

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

yes it does make the text and image look much better. However it is still isnt as good as my 15.6 inch dell 7568t 2-in-1 laptop screen. Is it because the PPI of my 43" monitor is lower than that of my laptop? Thank you. Got a asus gtx 1060 3gb ddr5 btw