4k Full screen stuttering unless taskbar visible

Mdr5256

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
I tried googling this and can't find anything about it maybe you guys can help me. I just replaced my old Asus 1080p 23 inch monitor with the LG 27UD68 4k monitor. The monitor has excellent picture but anytime I watch a full screen video whether it be in the windows 10 native video player or youtube fullscreen, the video starts stuttering as if its rapidly switching between windowed and fullscreen mode. I just noticed that if I just maximize the video and leave the borders, the video plays fine. Also if it's full screen but I leave the mouse highlighting the windows taskbar it also plays fine. No idea why this is happening. My pc is a MSI M5 z270 motherboard with an i5 7600k at stock speeds and the monitor is connected to a gtx 650 with a dvi to hdmi cable. Any help is appreciated.

LaserNinja11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hate to say it, but a rookie error, you gpu is 3 (??) Years old, im suprised you even got 4k to work :p (ofc it can, hdmi 1.4 can support 4k 30fps), the probable cause, your graphics card, its too old. Your cpu is fine without a doubt, just the gpu holding you back. Upgrade it to ATLEAST a 960 or a card that can properly and efficiently support 4K

Mdr5256

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017

Thanks for your response, but that doesn't explain why it only stutters on completely full screen mode but not when it's full screen with window borders. Doesn't make any sense to me