4K Gaming Monitor

Hendrick H

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
Hi, I am looking for a great and affordable 4k gaming monitors (3840x2160, 60Hz), and I plan to get the following set-up:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: AMD RX580 8Gb
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 Gb 3000 MHz
Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

Not sure what other details are required, but would you have any recommendations with regards to any 4k gaming monitor to get? Thinking about 27” or 32”. Currently LG 27UD68-P seems pretty good.

Also, it there’s any recommendations to the PC set-up, it would be much appreciated too.

Thanks!

Solution

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014
If you'd ask me I think you'd better get a 27" monitor with higher refresh rate.

The difference between 60hz and 144 (or 165)hz is pretty significant.

There are no 4k monitors with higher than 60hz though, so you'll have to settle for 2k.

But for gaming this is probably the way to go. Also - go IPS and not TN, the 4ms->1ms is very insignificant and doesn't justify the cons that come with.

Hendrick H

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
Hi rainzord,

Thanks for the reply!

Currently I have a Dell UP2414Q monitor. How can I check its refresh rate at 2k resolution? It also happens to be an IPS monitor to my knowledge.

Oh also, there’s this G-sync vs FreeSync that I came across as well. Since I’m intending to use AMD RX580, I should probably look for a Freesync monitor, am I right?

Thanks,
Hendrick

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014

AFAIK maximum refresh rate won't change (for the better) when lowering resolution. So if you have a 4k monitor with 60hz refresh rate, putting it on 2k wouldn't allow the refresh rate to be higher (it's going to stay at 60hz for the 2k).

You are correct about Gsync and Freesync. If you have AMD then Gsync is useless, and vice versa - if you have Nvidia card, Freesync is useless. So you will need to find a Freesync monitor if you want to utilize the Sync features.

That Dell UP2414Q monitor seems very solid - apart from a low response rate (8ms) which is not good for FPS games, and the low refresh rate.

So you are used to a 24 inch 4k monitor with IPS. Don't go TN - you will be disappointed with the color it brings and the viewing angles.

Try to aim for an IPS panel with 4ms, preferably those with Freesync and 144+ hz (and so it has to be 2k).

People say that the right size for 2k monitors is 27", after which you start to lose pixel to width ratio. But it's up to you really.

Hendrick H

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015

I see! You gave really good information, appreciate it!

Doing a quick google search of the criteria (27", 2k resolution, IPS screen, 144 Hz, Freesync), these options seem solid:
1. Samsung CHG70
2. Asus MG279Q

Between the two, which would you recommend? At the moment, they're both way too expensive, but if I can sell my current Dell UP2414Q monitor, I might consider upgrading to either of those.

Thanks again Rainzord!

Rainzord

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014

You are very welcome.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't really know which one to recommend better - I haven't experience with either one of them.

I looked around and from what I have seen - you might need to research further into this.

To be perfectly honest, Samsung's looks very intriguing - but it's a VA screen and I'm not very familiar with those. It is a little more expensive, but it seems some of its specs are better to compensate for that.

It's a tough choice - while the MG one would probably be more of a "safe bet" in terms of being more mainstream, I would definitely do some research on the matter. It's possible that investing those extra bucks for the samsung might be worth it.

You should start here:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/684b237f7

It's a detailed report on the specs of the monitors and a comparison. You can see every single details there and research the different properties and their meaning.

Good luck!!!

Solution