4K Gaming requirements

DeNachtwacht

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Hey guys,
I've got a little bit of an expert question here. I want to upgrade my PC and am wondering if it will be fast enough for gaming @ 4K resolutions. Right now I have:

MSI DKA790GX mainboard
8gb DDR-II 1066
AMD Phenom II 1090T
Kingston 96GB SSD

I'll buy a AMD R9 290 4gb DDR5 for this system and a 4K monitor (Dell / Asus, haven't decided yet). Question is: will this relatively old setup be able to game at 4K resolutions? I know the setup will work fine for 1080p gaming, but was wondering if 4K gaming also would be possible or that I needed more RAM for example.

Thanks for the advice.

Solution
You will need to crossfire/sli to play games at high settings at 4k res. 1 high end card will let you play at medium-high with decent FPS (30+) in most games. I currently can play BF4 on High settings with a gtx 780 Ti playing at a res of 6040x1200 and get 50-80ish FPS (card is OC'd to 1224Mhz)... my res is about 7.25 million pixels 4k res is about 8.3 million pixels, or about 15% more. So with 1 high end card at medium on a 4k res monitor you should be right around 60 fps, a second card should get you to high settings and 60+ fps. But if you decide to go with 2 cards... SLI scales better than crossfire and has a few less issues... The only problem is you can only get 3gb high end Nvidia cards vs 4gb from AMD... Although i have not had...

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
No chance, you will need a complete upgrade and at least 2 of the graphics cards you are considering. Then you will at least have a chance of hitting 30 fps @4K

True 4K gaming is years away, unless you are very rich and have money to burn. If you want higher than 1080p, consider 1440p as it is a huge increase in quality but not too demanding.

You will need to crossfire/sli to play games at high settings at 4k res. 1 high end card will let you play at medium-high with decent FPS (30+) in most games. I currently can play BF4 on High settings with a gtx 780 Ti playing at a res of 6040x1200 and get 50-80ish FPS (card is OC'd to 1224Mhz)... my res is about 7.25 million pixels 4k res is about 8.3 million pixels, or about 15% more. So with 1 high end card at medium on a 4k res monitor you should be right around 60 fps, a second card should get you to high settings and 60+ fps. But if you decide to go with 2 cards... SLI scales better than crossfire and has a few less issues... The only problem is you can only get 3gb high end Nvidia cards vs 4gb from AMD... Although i have not had an issue with 3gb on my setup even in bf4.

Solution

Titan gives less FPS than gtx 780 ti even at 4k res. If you want to throw away $300 for worse performance you can consider that as an option... but that is why I didn't include it.