4K Gaming TV which gpu?

stantheman123

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Ive got a fx 6300, 990fx asrock, and i wanna play some games on my 4k tv what gpu do you recommend ? would something like a amd r9 380 be enough? i dont wanna spend TOO much and im not looking to max games just play them

also ignore my signature rig its gone.

Solution
You can go with less card like the r9 380 or an rx 470 would even be better then the 380. Does an Rx 470 save you some cash? if so it is not a bad choice as your CPU is as stated earlier a bit weak and an rx 470 might not be a bad idea either.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
a GTX 1070 is the bare minimum I would run, preferably a gtx 1080. I game at 4K on a UHDTV and use 2 gtx 1080s and even then I cannot max everything out...with one It is medium to high settings...A gtx 1070 might give you medium settings @30FPS. As for AMD maybe a 390x for low settings...a 380 is not enough for 4k IMHO. 4k is not cheap to run even on low, sorry.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

I agree he needs a new GPU but if he is happy with his frame rate now at 1080P or what ever he is gaming at his CPU will be able to muster those same frame rates at 4K assuming of course his GPU can. Luckily CPU usage goes down as resolution goes up so as I said if his frame rate is ok no he'll be ok for a bit longer. Regardless a CPU upgrade is do in the near future.

stantheman123

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
yeah im very happy even with lowest settings on 4k so the lowest i can go is a 390x? i simply cant afford to go buy a intel cpu now and a 1080gtx i recently got the tv which set me back quite a bit

also my current gpu is r7 250 nothing special.. but i can play games on 1080p

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
That's as low as I would go and as stated you'll need a new CPU in the nearish future. And as i stated what ever frame rates you get now is as good as it will get on 4K assuming the GPU is strong enough. If your frame rates now are no good then 4K won't be any better. You can check you CPUs max frame rate by lowering all in game settings and resolution as low as they go. What ever frame rate you get is your CPUs max frame rate for said game and should be possible at any resolution if your GPU is strong enough.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
You can go with less card like the r9 380 or an rx 470 would even be better then the 380. Does an Rx 470 save you some cash? if so it is not a bad choice as your CPU is as stated earlier a bit weak and an rx 470 might not be a bad idea either.

Solution

stantheman123

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
the rx 470 is $299 awkward price point hold on i can get a gtx 1060 3gb for $279 thats not too shabby oh oh also i have 4gb of ram i should upgrade that yeah? or is 4gb enough for now?

also ive been out of the pc scene for a long time been busy so im really not too sure whats good now a days