[SOLVED] 4K HDR Screenshots In Windows 10

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016
Does anyone know how to do this, without getting the faded/washed out look? I read that the metadata doesn't transfer with HDR.

Thanks.

I have a GPU with HDR-10.

Solution
Does anyone know how to do this, without getting the faded/washed out look? I read that the metadata doesn't transfer with HDR.

Thanks.

No. We're stuck using file formats that don't know what HDR is and are limited to 8bpc. So you either get a washed out image or an overblown one.

EDIT: I know the madVR renderer can tone map HDR videos down to SDR properly, if you're just capturing stuff from a video stream. You can use MPC-HC/BE with it.

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016
The Xbox game bar can; it will save 2 files, the PNG will not be HDR but the JXR file is.

Thanks for trying to help.

I probably should provide some background:

I'm using VLC media player and trying to generate HDR screen captures. VLC has a screenshot function, but it results in a washed out, 4K HDR image. 4K SDR images are OK.

When I open Xbox and trying to use/combine it with VLC, I get a black screen.

Thanks.

No. We're stuck using file formats that don't know what HDR is and are limited to 8bpc. So you either get a washed out image or an overblown one.

EDIT: I know the madVR renderer can tone map HDR videos down to SDR properly, if you're just capturing stuff from a video stream. You can use MPC-HC/BE with it.

Reactions: Jay_34
Solution